Speaker Placement

toy4x4

Let me ask a different question that may solve my wiring under the wood floor issue. Here is a layout of what the room will look like. It is a 17'x17' room.

http://www.boringgames.com/images/image2.jpg

The red boxes are the speakers in question. I will be using either SS-1 or SS-.5s based on my limited budget. Here are my three options in order of preference:

1. Mount the SS-1 up about 7 feet off the floor above the door. Don't know how this will affect the sound compared to the below options. Would they need to be angled down?

2. Place the SS-1s on stands against the walls next to the fireplace and door in from the kitchen.

3. place them a little behind and and to the side of the couch.

What do you guys think?

I'd vote for option 1. Angling them would be determined by their distance from the couch. They have a 60 degree vertical dispersion, so picture that and see if the sound will "hit" the couch.

My concern with option 2 is that the fireplace chimney will be too close to the speaker -- it looks almost like they would be right up against the edge of the fireplace, but I can't tell from the drawing. It doesn't look like it has a clear path to the couch.

Doug

I would use a modified option placement # 2

I think you might be able to mount the SS-1 on the wall beside the mantle - perhaps put some type of "spacer" (like a 2 x 8 peice of wood spray painted black to match the speakers). This will allow no interference with the dispersion and may make placement easier. (this may or may not be an issue). For optimal sound, the SS-1s should be placed in line or slightly behind the primary listening position. I would not suggest stands.