Newbie Questions

I have a set of Forte II speakers that I would like to use as a part of a new surround system. Where can I find the technical specs so that I can try to match them and does Klipsch have surround speakers that will exactly match my Forte II's?

I have a dealer that is offering me 700.00 to trade them in for a complete set of Reference 3 speakers. Does anyone know if that is a good trade?

Also, does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with the Integra receiver line?1.gif

Your dealer is offering you a good trade in price on the Forte II's for sure @ $700. You could use them as your mains as they are a very good speaker, however since they are no longer in production and the closest match Klipsch speaker that is still being manufactured today would be the Heresy II. Then would would need to use a Heresy or find an Academy (tough & expensive) to use for a center channel. If you were able to get another pair of used Forte II's for the rear if you have the room and possibly a singe to use as a center then you would really have a hell of a set-up. The offer that your dealer proposed is certainly worth considering since you would have everything that you need and it would all be brand new. Your call.

Agree with all the above, plus figure that your Fortes are worth anywhere from about $400-700 on the used market, depending on condition and if the buyer has to pay shipping to get them.

Also, IMHO, I don't think you'll find anything that sounds quite like the Forte's. If you can swallow it, I'd consider keeping the Forte's and using them in a 2-channel system if you don't want to use them in your HT. And, if you have a Tweeter/Sound Advice within striking distance you can get a darn good deal on the Reference series clearance and maybe make out better overall than what your dealer is offering.

DD

According to Klipsch, aAppropriate center channel for Forte II is Academy. You can find the specs for both under Products->Home Audio->Classic Series. Just start at the top of this page. IMHO Heresy is not a good choice. There is a noticeable different in timbre because of the different tweeter and squawker driver. Heresy II might be OK, though.

Remarkably there is a guy right on this BB offering a single Forte II up for sale. Better hurry! Use this as your center channel and a second pair for rears and violah as close to Home Theater nirvana as you can be. Just add a subwoofer and some Klipsch 1.2 or 1.5 satellites/effects and man look out!

I was planning on doing a similar project (building a centre using heresy pieces)... but this does involve more work and planing than just buying a prebuilt unit. On the other hand it's the only way to get an exact match for a heritage speaker.