4.1 Unacceptable Hissing

backwoods

So I just bought a pair of Promedia 4.1's yesterday, and to my dismay I ended up with speakers that hiss as loud as a snake. And I thought these were quality speakers :) Well they do sound good except the treble seems pretty distored.

No its not my soundcard, they hiss wether or not they are plugged into the computer. Im gonna try and return them to London Drugs after work today. Should I try and get another pair? Or am I better off sending them in to Klipsch for repair? I emailed them last night, and they said something about RMA'ing the item.

Wish I read in this forum before I bought!

Thanks for any help!

So I went and exchanged them today, problem solved. No more annoying hiss. No I need to replace my SB Live 5.1 with an Audigy 2 :)

Ive heard that there's two versions of these 120V, 230V. Im assuming ive got 120V, anyone know where to look to find out?

And is it worth the cable upgrade? The supplied cables dont look too beefy.

Thanks16.gif

that's right. it sounds so much better now, but the degree of improvement depends the music u listen to. in general, u'll get a clearer highs, slightly more defined mids, and better extension of the low mids with the sub. as far the type of music goes, anything acoustic/string will see much improvement because there is just so much detail to be heard unlike the electronic instruments.

what we really need is an experiment regarding the performance difference between the standard default cable and an upgrade cable (i.e. monster cable).

this is how it should be set up:

1. Have 4 listening sessions (with the exact same music or audio playback).

2. Someone else needs to be present to change the speaker wire, the listener cannot be in the room when the wire is being changed or supposedly being changed.

3. One person changes the wire independent of the listener knowing (the listener wont know which wire is plugged into the system).

4. The listener is asked to guess which wire he thinks is hooked up to the system during 4 separate listening sessions.

5. Th ecable person records the results and compares the answers the listener gives to the actual cables used per listening session, and we can see by the results whether a monster cable really results in an AUDIBLE difference and not a PSYCHOLOGICAL difference.

I would do this, but I dont have upgrade cables. I would really like to know that there is indeed a difference. I understand that theoretically there is less resistance in a monster cable and that should yield the improved audio signals, but it may be that most of it is psychological.

"I paid 60 bucks for these cables... I think I can discern a difference in sound..."

I think it would be real cool to the forum community if someone out there could actually do this type of an experiment. And if this had been already done, if someone could point me to the results.

9.gif

geez, aren't u the skeptic...

there was nothing "psychological" about my upgrade to 16 gauge monster XP cable. first of all, I wasn't even expecting a difference, it was a extremely boring weekend and I had the extra cash to burn. secondly, I've listened to the stock 22 gauge(not sure) cable for 3-4 months prior to the upgrade so I was very much used to the sound. I've told u the effects; clearer ring to the highs, better mids, stronger extension of the low mids to the sub. if u have this album by MTV called, nirvana; unplugged in new york, use it to test the audible difference. as I am sure u all know, it's "unplugged" as in acoustic instruments only. the detail will knock u on ur *** once u've upgraded. at the end of most of the tracks, curt and the rest of the band chat but the recording is too quiet and some their conversations were just mumbles before I upgraded. (maybe I could have made out the words if I turned my speakers all the way up I didn't try that so don't follow me about it if u can) now I can hear every word so there's no if about this, these detail can simply be heard. this is a fact, and there's nothing 'it could be in ur head' about it. nevermind the fact that the record sounds insanely great because, hey, it could just be in my head!3.gif I listen to classical for the most part of my day u can't really find better music to test the dynamics of ur satellites, all of the above mentioned details are right on the button for all of my CDs and DVDs. if u still believe it could just be in my head, maybe u're right I should probably be in the nut house either way but until that day, I'll sit here and insanely enjoy my PM.9.gif14.gif9.gif14.gif9.gif

Can someone please tell me if this hissing noise and tweeter popping sound is normal. I just got them TODAY. Can someone walk me through the setup process with windows. I have windows XP home edition . EVEN at low volumen the satellaties sound like they're about to explote ... horrible sound ... I have a pretty new gateway computer with a 6 port sound card...

I need some help here guys ... I appreciate it

thanks