dvd / cd players

mopar dave

i just purchased a three year old yamaha dvd player off ebay. i figured i would use it for two channel mostly ,with an ocassional movie now and then, but it seems that cd's are harsh at high levels. i hooked up my sons sony changer (275) to compare and found there was a difference. the difference was marginal, but it was there. the bass seemed to hit harder and at high levels the harshness was minimised. here's my question. if i purchase another cd changer, something two or three years old, say a yamaha cdc-775 (it has the same specs as the dvd s795) would i get the same sound or would it be smoother like the sony? what i'm asking is would i be wasting my money to buy another yamaha or sould i save alittle more and buy a rega planet? i take my music seriously. maybe some knowledgeable yamaha owners can help. please respond. dave1.gif1.gif

Dave - Perhaps the diminished sound quality is caused by the use of the DVD laser on CD's. At that time, I don't know if they were using 2 separate pickups - one for CDs and one for DVDs. A lot of the newer ones (that are not entry-level units) use separate pickups.

DD

No, no, no.

My Sony 9000es Combination player (DVD, SACD, & Redbook CD) crushed my old Anthem CD-1 in week long comparisons. The Anthem was about 5 years old, used the very fine Dual Burr-Brown PCM 1702P 20 bit DAC, and had a tubed output. I paid $1800 for the Anthem, and $1000 for the Sony. I attribute the primary difference to the newer DAC's and very hefty power supplies in the Sony. Things have come a long way over the last 3 to 5 years. Save your money and get the Rega, or a newer Sony -- like the 222ES or 775.

Dave:

In this case you should not hear any difference unless there is something wrong with Yamaha. The major difference between your Yamaha and Sony is the D/A circuit (digital to analog converter). When you connect your DVD player to your receiver via optical or coaxial cables you bypass the D/A circuit in the DVD player and let the D/A circuit in the receiver to do the job of converting digital signal into analog. In this case you should not hear the difference in the sound quality when you switch from Yamaha to Sony because you are using the same D/A circuit.

alexl, i don't know why i did'nt think of that. my dvd was hooked to coax, but my sons sony was hooked with rca. thats why his sounded moderatly smoother. i bet if i hooked his with optical they would be the same. i think what i'll do is save for the rega planet and watch ebay, that way there will be a improvement in sound and i'll be happy with the investment. thanks dave1.gif