4.1 sub has some problems

pinipig523

I think that klipsch tried to put too much in the cabinet. I think that the implementation of dual 6.5 inch woofers pushes too much air than is good for the cabinet, hence, at higher volumes and lower bass frequencies, the sub produces turbulence. I think that they should have made the cabinet as big as the 5.1s sub.

how does the 4.1 sub compare to the 2.1 sub? I know that the 2.1 sub is a single 6.5, so does that mean it may not hit as low but can get louder (because of less port noise)?

What I don't understand is how klipsch made the 5.1's the way there are. They are exactly like the 4.1's except the cab. is a tad bigger but also dual 8's!! Thep ort is the same size, so how do they keep the klipsch 5.1's from becoming so prone, cause we all know the 5.1's can be pushed much further then the 4.1's can.

For the heck of it, i'm gonna put some polyfil around the drivers and outside of port...see what happens.

I'm also gonna try a small mod by holding the port in place, just to see what happens as well.

Hell for fun, I may make my own port, but instead of a weasly 2 inch port, I may try say 2.5-3 inch port, lag and dampin it, place it in careful corresponding to the port hold klipsch made. I know thats if I only want to have fun if I get another speaker set. Although I may have to cut a little more from the hole klipsch made.

Port noise is not a problem!!! That is the nature of a ported sub. Do some research.

If you have a ported sub, you can hit lower, louder without as expensive drivers a large cabinet. However, once you get to a ported subs max, anything above that max will give you port noise.

With a sealed sub, it costs more to build them because you have to have better drivers that can make the air pressure required for them to move back and forth. To get loud and low costs big bucks. They can be made the same size as the promedia subs but then they cost no less than $1000, more like $2000.

In Test SPL wise it's accually very similar(1m and 2.5m away), and it certainly handles more from my testing, 4.1 just hits it's limit far too quick. Although 4.1's drive 8-10hz lower, it's pointless at anything above medium volume.

In my room at 1m, the 4.1's in Matrix Lobby Test was only 1 db louder(105db vs 104db, when I moved back it was 2db louder then 2.1's. (101db vs 99db) And yes the 4.1's was reaching 30hz while 2.1's had good rolloffs after 40hz. However once the 4.1's where pushed with anything under 40hz at high volume, the port was getting hammered and 4.1's lost half their bass signal power, while the 2.1's kept going at. Now I don't know if there is less air or because it's not driving as low, but it kept up with it's SPL until it hit it's freq. limit. But in that limit it stayed up there.

These are only based off my own tests, and that of 3dss; So it could vary.

Now for example in Techno where most of the bass blasts are in the 50-60hz area, I can have the volume on much higher on the 4.1's before I hit excurtion(sp) then I get a power Kick fro the 4.1 sub, something that won't happen on the 2.1's (Well not as powerful of a kick anyhow)

dont get me wrong, the 4.1 sub definitely packs a real strong punch when given the right soundtrack. The sub has no trouble with most of my songs 85-90% (these are a mix of club, hip-hop, rnb, pop, mixes, oldies)... i mean i can turn the sub up to the point where my desk starts shaking and the ceiling feels like its about to come down.

there ARE some songs which my sub has trouble handling... try the new song by Fifty Cent "In the Club" and you hear what I mean. The bass in that song is just ridiculous - probably under 30 or even 25Hz.... geez. Whenever I play that song, I think to myself, "i wish i had an svs ultra right about now."

But hey, for the 4.1's sub is great enough for most everything else!

My 4.1 sub has no problem with 50 cent's "In Da Club", the bass is more like 60hz blasts (Like most techno) Although there sounds like some 50hz drive offs from the 60 hz thump. I can have the sub at 12 o clock and the volume on winamp at 100% and the klipsch at 40-50% (Which in klipsch terms, 80% volume on most other systems rofl) and the bass is thumpin hard, anything harder and I hear the subs hitting excurtion.

innova,

yeah thats jus about the setting at which my 4.1s are when i listen to in da club. any higher and the sub starts to plop out.

could you explain to me why... i mean how could the bass be around 50-60 hz when the sub cant even handle it at anything over half volume? my understanding is that at lower frequencies, the sub tends to push out more air and at a certain point, turbulence takes over.

please explain, thanks!

Do you mean you wish you had the Promedia SWS?? I want one also even though I have the 5.1s I still love more bass. In da club sounds fantastic on my 5.1s though as do most all songs 1.gif I remember though when i had the 4.1s those suckers belted out the bass hardcore!! I kinda miss them considering they were my first hardcore pc speakers.