Question for Justin

pinipig523

I took your advice regarding the audigy 2 and the 4.1s... u know.. do the decoding through the audigy - thanks man, it worked.

I have another question, when i play dvds - i have to turn up my system to get them decently loud... why is that? I have to have the system volume 2/3 and speaker volume 2/3, and at this volume level i hear some hissing.

Is it because i dont have a center speaker, that i have to turn up the volume??

Thanks man, i can always count on u.

I would say a lot of it has to do with the dynamic range of the media being played. The PM's are a lot louder on mp3's and such, correct? And on loud parts of movies, they are LOUD, right? My HT is this way. When a DTS movie is played, quiet things are extremely quiet and hard to hear, but loud things make you jump for the volume knob.

guys, it's just recorded that way!3.gif the center channel comes out of the front left and right channels when using a 4.1. so getting a 2.1 won't help much although u will be able to independently control the volume of the center channel.

by the way I have the 5.1, and I have to turn my windows volume to 100% and control knob to to 60 for most movies.(if I get a instant message while watching a movie, my head hits the ceiling) for music I use 50% on windows and 55 on the control pod.

goosechaser... you are lucky then

I have to turn my po to 68, windows/wave 100% to achieve a decent listening level, but then the hiss/static/distortion is so overpowering... I think something is wrong with my set, but the closest dealer (where I got mine) is a couple hours away... so I deal with my distortion. They are not louder, though, so to say.

How are you guys playing back your DVDs? I think most of the problem you are having can be attributed to a software DVD player, that is what I have noticed in my experience anyway. DVDs are really soft when I play them using PowerDVD and I have to crank the volume to around 60%. But when I hooked up the same speakers directly to a stand alone DVD player (with 5.1 speaker outputs) and watched the same DVD the sound was much louder and I wouldn't think about turning the volume above 25%.

i installed windvd 4.0 to my computer and i like it better than powerdvd. it seems to me that its louder than powerdvd - i dont need to have my speakers at 60% to hear anything, i can now have it at 30-40% and have good vocals from the phantom center. its really great!

also, i followed justin's advice and left the dolby decoding to my soundcard and raised the output to 96khz instead of 48khz and now dvd playback works like a charm.

i dont think im going to get an extra 2.1 after all... 4.1s are awesome once you play with them long enough! 9.gif