Building Cornwalls...:Would I be cheating myself?

PHIL O

If you were to build an exact clone of a pair of Cornwalls then you would lose nothing other than the ability to sell them as "Klipsch" speakers.

Presumably they could be sold as exact copies but bear in mind that authentic Klipschorns routinely bring 1600.00 to 2000.00 + while Speakerlab clones usually sell for 800 - 1100.00

That said - If you intend to keep and use those clones and can build them for 1/2 the cost of the factory units -Kewll Dude !!

Go for it, dude! If only Klipsch continued the Cornwalls today...

But if they did, then you probably wouldn't want to build your own. So I guess it's a good thing that Klipsch doesn't make 'em anymore.

Don't cheat yourself! If you can build them close enough to factory spec, then why not? I wish I was mechanically inclined to take on a job like this...I'd build 3 more for a complete Cornwall home theatre. Now that would be very cool!

Keep us posted of your progress, and show us photos of the building process to completed clones.

I'll tell you, there couldn't be an easier design to build! Uh, not that it didn't take very skilled craftsmen and women to build them...Old Andy used to slap together, like, 400 in a day, and still monkey around all night (I'm only guessing about that last part)! Indian leg-wrestled PWK, too!

fini

phil o, look for the plans in the archives under cornwall. you'll have to dig down deep into the back. they used to be on page 9, but who knows where they are now. i can't find mine at the moment and if i could not sure i could figure out how to post. i will look harder for those plans and let ya know where their at. someone on this forum was nice enough to measure every board on his and posted all dimentions including the port size. i built mine from that and i'm happy with the way they sound. value is'nt an issue with me, i don't plan on selling. my father helped me with the boxes so they have alittle sentimental value to me. many of the components can be found on ebay. i posted something about them last night under odds and mods. if ya need any more info let me know. dave1.gif

not at this time, but i will try to post some soon. the bass drivers k33 are available from klipsch for $100 including shipping. they do not cater to the hobbyist, so they may ask for serial numbers. i bought one new k33, i told them what i needed and gave them my card number. i should have bought two because i bought a used one off ebay for the same price. dave1.gif