LFE, LFE+Main Question

Lovebohn

I have been playing around with speaker placement, setup and connections after i bought my new Denon DVD-1600 the other day. I currently had my KSP400 with a bi-wire connection with the sub output from the 3802 split 3 ways. One to each of the 400's (input on the 400's w/ line in) and one to my M&K V-75 sub.

I then tried the connection with the sub output to the LFE on the 400's with the bi-wire and one connection strap going from the mid to low input. It seemed like i had more bass but was that due to just double the input and then adjustment on the sub and LFE levels on the 400's.

After reading my 3802 owners manual again i was wondering if i should just set my front speakers setting to large for the and then use the main+LFE on the sub mode. I don't fully understand what LFE and Main+LFE is? If i set the fronts to large and main+LFE will i have full range if i only have the bi-wire connection and not the sub output from the 3802? When watching DD, DTS or using 5 channel stereo will the 400's get the full 20hz-20khz range of sound?

Please explain the differences and any suggestion for getting the best sound from the 400's. There are so many different variables with these speakers. Thanks.

It's late Dave and I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

If you put all the straps back on and set the speakers 'large' in the receiver's bass management, you have a capable full range speaker. You can adjust the 'low' gain accordlingly. Set your receiver sub out to 'LFE' only with sub cable to "LFE IN' on 400's. Set gain accordlingly.

See note in manual about the higher LFE output, and don't set LFE gain knob too high.

The bi/tri-wire situation changes nothing as long as you're sending a signal to each section of the speaker and have the speakers set 'large'. You are running them 'large' aren't you?

Hope this helps.

Keith

"Also keep in mind that each time you "Y" out the LFE output you are losing signal strength. It is designed to feed a single input and when divided, signal output is divided and reduced by a 1/3."

I have talked with a few dealers and other forum members who didn't sound like the three way split would make a big difference. I can always account for this with a volume adjustment?

Hey Dave! I don't remember the explanation the manual gave of 'LFE + MAIM' right now and I'm too lazy to look it up. From what I remember, setting the speakers large with the setting 'LFE ONLY' just sounded better to me on my setup. My speakers are set LARGE with the LFE ONLY signal routed to the KSP300's and the separate sub. Easier to me and sounds better to my ears.

I don't think I'd worry too much about spliting the signal as you explained. Seems you don't have much choice. I remember BobG commenting about setting these speakers up and I don't remember him voicing a concern regarding that.

Recap. Run the speakers large using high level adjusting gain to taste, receiver sub out to LFE IN with LFE gain control set to taste. Remember the LFE is recorded 10db higher in the software.

Good luck.

Keith