Difference in Klipschorns

klipsch

Steve

Welcome to the Klipsch forum. I can't believe nobody has used Klipsch for there log in name here. WOW.

Trey Cannon just posted a thread about upgrading to the AK-4 network. They replace the networks and drivers in your Khorn for $1800.

If yours are '91, I bet they have the AK-2 network in them. Is it worth upgrading???? Only you can decide for sure. That is a better network than some of the 80's networks.

Most of us here who have upgraded have gone to the really old AA network (not recomended for a '91 IMO) or the ALK offered by a third party outside Klipsch.

I do not know if the '91 uses the K400 (metal) horn or the K401 (composite) horn. If you have metal, the only other upgrade is to dampen the horn to keep it from ringing.

Again, is it worth upgrading - only if you are unhappy with the sound.

JM

Steve,

I'm willing to bet you have the AK-3 crossovers in your '91 Klipschorns.You should also have the resin horns.

The AK-3 is a highly regarded x-over as several on this forum have compared it favorably to the ALKs.

My 1993 K-horns have the AK-3 as well as the resin horns.I would ask Trey to chime in here as he is the Yoda of all Klipsch info2.gif

Jeff

we they made the changeover of software many people lost many posts. I am sure that is what happened to klipsch. anyway, my '93 k-horns had ak-3s, your does too I think. it is a good crossover. the investment to bring the k-horns up to spec is too rich for my blood, but if $1,800 doesn't scare you...more power to ya' Few comments have been made about the comparison in sound between the new and old, at least I have not seen anything yet. so an upgrade would have to be made on faith. again if the bucks are there...I would do it if trey would come down here to salvador to do it. lol...regards, tony

• 3 weeks later...

>>Only if you are unhappy with the sound.

Don't ever say that anywhere near an audiophile. They are never happy with their sound. Just read Stereophile reviewers. The audio press loves to make you doubt about your equipment, with words like "improved", "2nd generation", "upgrade", "new this & that", etc. It drives a multi-million dollar industry by just those few words.

As they say, don't believe everything you hear. (No pun intended).11.gif