cooling for my receiver

tpg

I realize that SS receivers and amps get warm to hot when played hard for long times. Today, mine has been on since about 11 or so, at moderate volumes. The highest I turned it to was 40 (it goes to 100), and it is currently on 30. This is a pretty low level- easily talked over when in the middle of the speakers. I am using 5-channel stereo, through my Onkyo TX-SR500. (65WPC@8-ohms) though it is not being puched, if I place my hand on the metal top, it is fairly hot. Not uncomfortable, ow that burned my hand hot, but kind of hot nonetheless. It is just a little past warm. Right now the receiver is putting out way under 1W per channel.

Is this bad? has something been damaged? Yesterday I hooked up an invention to the tape in, turned it on and got that awful hum... so I turned it off only to get worse hum, so I quickly unplugged it. Did I short anything and damage anything? It still soudns the same, just is getting warm...

It is about 78-80 in my room, would that affect the temp a lot? During winter times, it is around 67-70, and we haven't turned on the air conditioner yet since our outside temp varies so much within a day. Should I look into getting some RatShack 12VDC fans and placing them under my receiver blowing up through it? Thanks

what does your owners manual recommend for your receiver? i have a pioneer elite receiver and the manual recommends an 8 inch clearance above the receiver for cooling....since, i didn't have that much clearance in my rack, i installed a dual fan panel from middle atlantic on the rear of my rack......i have on order a thermostatic fan control...also from middle atlantic that turns the fans on only when necessary....here is the link...

http://middleatlantic.com/power/mods1.htm#fc

Normally my PS2 sits on top of my receiver, but I have it off of it right now, and it is still warm. My manual also says 8in.

I might get a 4", 120VAC fan from RatShack. Would 65cfm across my amp be too much? Could excessive 'wind' across comonents, etc. damage them?

the 65 cfm should do a fine job....and there is no danger to your equipment....HEAT is the enemy of all electronic components....

i would suggest that you put a switch on the power line to shut it off if you are listening to music at a lower level.....the fan will be audible at lower volume levels...

before you buy the fan, listen to how loud it is in the store....different fans have different levels of noise....

I also have an Onkyo Receiver (DS-777), and it also gets very hot even when the amps are not being used (I feed my main speakers through a seperate amp). I installed a 12v computer fan with an A/C adaptor, & it just pulls air out of the cabinet. If you put it directly into the case, dust becomes a major problem.

I looked at the setup that minn male was using, & it looks better. It makes a very neat setup.

Believe it or not, in the other room I am using a low-end Pioneer VSX-D411, & it gets too hot to touch!

Either way, keep it cool!

I have used 5 inch square ac fans, that were purchased from princess auto, a surplus / refurb /overrun store to cool my brother's rack. They are mounted under the receiver and blow through 5" holes I made in the shelf with a holesaw. I was a little worried that they might cause a hum in the speaker outputs, but everything is dead quiet. Since the rack is enclosed with a glass front on it and is located 15 feet away from the listening position, noise produced ( very little ) from the fan turning, is inaudible. The larger the diameter the fan, the slower it can turn while still moving a good volume of air. A small fan would have to turn much higher rpm to move large amounts of air. Just a few pointers for you to ponder.

Wow, small world I guess. I work at Princess Auto's home office in Winnipeg. I buy those "fans" you refer to for our stores across Canada to re-sell. I'd recommend for the coolness effect getting the LED fan we now carry. If you're going to put up with a small noise why not have it look cool too.

Side note FYI: Kinda cool, we use a machine called an Anemometer that looks not unlike a fan itself to measure CFM's of our fans. It's true, a large 4-3/4" fan at a lower speed moves more air then a small 3-1/4" fan at a high speed. The number of blades seems to make a small difference in noise (physically louder) but none really as far as measurable output is concerned. We had a fan some time ago originally from an army tank (not sure for what though) that had an output of 19,000L/min. and a note in the box that warned of the vacuum pressure of the fan being able to pull small animals into it, like birds and smaller dogs.... sheeesh! There's some intense cooling for you.