remote control

DBvader

hey guys,

i needed a remote control with learning capabilities. im planning on using my XBOX, TV, ReplayTV, and Logitech Z-680s with it.

i was looking into getting this:

http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI700122-CI700179,00.html?

has anyone used that?

im a college student with essentially no money, but i needed a new remote becuase my replay TV remote seems to be freaking out lately (keys are worn out)

i was thinking of getting that RCA from ebay, as its pretty decently priced there. Hopefully, though, i can reprogram any of the keys on it...or im screwed.

can i reprogram any/and all buttons on that remote?

are there any other suggestions for well priced remotes that may do the job a bit better?

thanks for the help

First thing I would do about the remote that is "freaking out" is put a fresh set of batteries in it. I had one freak out on me, and it was easily fixed by just replacing the batteries.

That RCA remote appears to be fully learning capable. You can download the user's manual from that page in .PDF format.

Here is another remote from Radio Shack that you may want to consider. It is only $20 bucks more but has an LCD touch screen and is also fully programmable - with macros even.

Also, if you have a Palm-based device, you may want to consider Omni Remote. I have used it on my Palm IIIC and it works wonderfully. You can download a free trialware version to try it out.

Finally, here is a site that has everything you ever want to know about remotes, complete with reviews and such. You could try the "clicker-picker" feature of the site.

Also- a lot of times 'motes are just filthy inside. (carefully)Pry it open and clean it with rubbing alcohol. Usually clears up any intermittent/sketchy buttons. Either that or play some Zamfir for it-it might just be tense!2.gif

the problem with LCD remotes is i dont think that they have enough buttons for what i want to do. especially for my replay TV where there are so many different commands (skip, instant replay, channel guide, replay guide, etc) that arent on most remotes. that radioschack remote says 59.99...id it 20 bucks at the store? and how exactly is it configuredm, i cant see the actual thing.

Here's a web site that has very comprehensive reviews of lots of "universal remotes", as well as user reviews of many models:

http://www.remotecentral.com/

It doesn't look like they've done a detailed review of the RCA remote you're asking about, but there is a single user review:

http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/66.htm

Hope you'll find this to be a helpful site.

Steve