RB5II w/ RSW10 or RF3II

c3conv

Just wondering if the RB5II matched with the RSW10 can outperform RF3II sound transparency, clarity and soudstage since the RB5 and RSW combination will also get a wider frequency range? Will it outperfm the RF5 and 7 for that matter? Since the RB5 and RSW combination will also get the full frequency range

if i can recommend an alternative to both the rf3s and the rb5/rsw10 combination, you should seriously consider picking up a pair of rp3s. i cannot recommend them enough. about two years ago i decided to get some good speakers, and i too considered purchasing mains and an independant subwoofer. what i learned was that an independant sub NEVER sounds as good as a sub built into the mains in two channel applications. what you get in rp3s is a horn loaded tweater, midrange driver, and 10 inch sub with an internal 440 watt amplifier, and as far as music is concerned, i prefer the sound of the rp3s to even the rf-7s with an independant rsw15. the bass and overall sound is far more smooth and balanced. two ears, two channels, two subs. it just makes sense.

the rf series seems primarily designed for home theater, but if you are primarily interested in music (as i am) you will not find a better sounding speaker for anywhere near the price of rp3s. this is true because they were recently discontinued by klipsch in favor of dedicated home theater mains such as the rf3s. you will still be able to wire the subs on the rp3s for home theater using the lfe inputs if you want to end up with a home theater system eventually.

originally the rp3s sold for $1500 from klipsch, but now with a little patience you can pick them up on ebay for around $500 (i got mine for less), which is an absolute steal. the only reason they sell for so cheap is that everyone is looking for home theater speakers, and the rp3s are primiarily 2 channel music speakers, but again, they can also be used for home theater.

but don't just take my word for it, the rp3s recieved outstanding reviews at audioreview.com. click here to read them: http://www.audioreview.com/Main,Speaker/Klipsch,RP-3/PRD_119964_1594crx.aspx

I think it comes down to soundstage versus imaging, and which one you value over the other. The RB5's are special little speakers, can image with the best of them, are tight, fast and accurate, and do wonders with a wide vaiety of music.

RF3's sound very good in their own right, cast a much wider soundstage, don't image quite as well, but also handle a wide variety of music with aplomb.

Since my system does double duty HT/Music, RF3's became my mains. If this were a music only system, I might opt for the RB5's.

"no match for rf7's,rsw15 by any scientific measurement."

i felt the same way until i actually heard both set ups. for two-channel music an integrated sub per channel always sounds more balanced than a single independant sub, at least in my experience.