Definitive Technology Vs Klipsch, Beaten???

CatManFever

BBB & The Ear: Two of my favorite old forum friends! It's so good to see you both posting here. I hope you are both well.

In considering small satellite/sub systems such as the Definitive Technologies-ProCinema 600, 5.1 System VS. the Klipsch HD Theater 500, 5.1 system:

Using the same Blu-Ray source and Pioneer receiver and settings on both speaker systems:

The Klipsch was about $200 less than the DT and Klipsch's sound appeared to be more detailed at lower listening levels. However, the Klipsch HD Theater 500 did not seem to play loud enough for more realistic movie viewing. The DT 600 was able to play much louder than the Klipsch 500 and the sound remained clean and undistorted. I did not have a level meter with me at the time for volume measurements. My tests were conducted at the Best Buy Magnolia Theater store in Taylor, Michigan back in January of 2010. I am not concluding that the DT is a better sounding system than the Klipsch; only that it plays louder.

In checking the specs, it was discovered that the sensitivity for both systems is actually quite low:

Klipsch Satellite: N/A db, Center: N/A db The Klipsch 500 sensitivity specifications are not published on the spec sheets, but I did learn the ratings are apparently lower than 88 db. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Def Tech Satellite: 88 db, Center: 89 db

-Glenn