RS-7s vs matched RF-5s for surrounds

spuntech

I just bought a set of RF-5s for my fronts/mains and i love them.i am contemplating RS-7s or more RF-5s for my surrounds. what are the monopole vs bipole truths that i need to know? I will be using them for music and HT . I will not always be in the " Sweet spot" when listening to music. how far does the sweet spot have be from any given speaker in a 5.1/6.1 to avoid serious phase cancellation? thanks for any responses. Todd

speaking from experience, i have used both rs's and rc's for surrounds, since all were klipsch they did sound good, but they being limited range speakers left something to be desired, so i went to rf3's as surrounds, and the difference that made was night and day, it truly enhanced the viewing experience, sooooo much more realist, larger, but you really only need go rf3's as surrounds, those three's really perform, and the sat's do not really have to be as big as the mains. full range sat's are the way to go12.gif

It depends on your room and it's acoustic characteristics. If it were my room I would go along the lines of Marksdads suggestion and go with RF-5s all around. I own RS-7s and RF-5s and I think the 5s worked out better in my situation. It may be different for you depending on what you like to hear and how it sounds with YOUR floor, walls, ceiling, windows and furniture. Did I leave anything out? Oh yeah. Doorknobs. He he he

----------------

On 4/15/2003 7:29:41 AM fini wrote:

When I rope-caulked
my
doorknobs, I could really hear the difference. Also, Dynamat on the doorbell got rid of that annoying midrange ring.

fini

----------------

Can you provide pics? I'm considering a similar mod for my motion sensor lights!

BTW - RF-3's or RF-5's depending on the amount you are willing to spend.

If you want to hear "music all around you", go for another pair of RF5's. If you you want to be immersed in a realistic soundfield, with instruments and voices in front of you and ambience all around, then get you a pair of RS-7's or RS-35's. Which do you prefer, whiz-bang "effects", or something that at least aspires to realism?