Three channel amplifier

sheltie dave

Hey guys,

I am looking at various permutations trying to get at a three channel setup for a reasonable price. Oh, the sacrifices we make for our hobbies!

Jolida has the 1703 integrated hybrid amp with a left, right, and center speaker output, but methinks all three channels would be equal volume, rather than having the summed center channel at a lower volume. This option does have a plus - it appears to be the least costly and provide modern signal input flexibility along with a tube preamp section.

The Mcintosh C24-28? series preamps have a summed center output, but I would then need to chase after a tube amp for the stereo channels, and flip my old Crown amp for the center.

The Scott 299 C(and probably other vintage tube stereo amps) also have a center output RCA, but I wonder if this is only an output signal to go to a seperate amplifier.

Volume isn't a large concern, with a pair of Khorns and a Belle, but it will mutate into a home theater setup once I stop finding so many good deals on Klipsch Heritage speakers. We REALLY need to start up a national Klipschaholics Anonymous, judging from some peoples' taglines.6.gif6.gif

Cheers,

Dave

ah, actually I was just about to post about a 3rd channel as well. I suppose you're trying to get rid of the "hole in the middle" effect? well, I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish, but whatever your 2 channel system is, I think you'd benifit most by getting a pair of really good mains. when I got my RF-5's and got them positioned well, I have no real need for a 3rd speaker. positioning can make a huge difference in how a speaker images, even down to the inch, as I found out after DeanG gave me some tips. so, now that I have my dedicated room with the RF-5's and some sound dampening foam, I feel they are sounding damn good.

Actually the Scott 299D/LK-72B kit and 222D/LK-48B kit both have powered center channel hookups for direct to speaker use and can usually be bought for about $250 or so and then of coarse require a complete updating for daily use. All other Scott amps have derived center channels that need a seperate mono amp to power a speaker. Some Fisher amps have powered center channels too.

Craig