burning in SACD format

jzoz01

Allright, i just got a new SACD player and currently have a CD burner and a DVD burner at my disposal. My dad has a couple SACDs i'd like to copy so I can listen to em when i'm at school. Any ideas as far as how to archive them? We both both have the same taste in music so it'd be nice if we didn't have to buy 2 copies of a bunch of cds we already have.

My take on this is that if there was a capability to burn SACD discs on regular DVD burners then any DVD player should be able to read SACD. Since this is not the case, it is my strong guess that you cannot burn SACD on DVD burners - they might require different wave length and different software to do the job. In my case I did burn regular CD copies of the Hybrid SACD red book layers, but I guess this is not what you were looking for.

You could buy your own and not violate the copyright laws. Since they aren't yours, you can't legally make copies of them.

That's my two cents, but I have too many friends who are working and recording musicians who depend on the sales of their CDs to say otherwise.

Marvel

Russ,

That wasn't a criticism of everyone. I have copies of some of my own CDs as well. It is a moral dilemma that most people don't want to get involved in. Most people don't bother to photocopy books because it would cost more than buying the book. CDs are quite cheap to copy. Still doesn't make it right when they aren't your own.

Now let me step down from my soap box ...

Marvel

----------------

On 4/24/2003 8:31:37 AM paulparrot wrote:

You cannot rip the SACD layer. IF you want to make a copy, you would have to play it back on an SACD player and take the signal from the analog outs and feed it into whatever you're recording on, at realtime.
----------------

...which, if I understand correctly, means you're really just burning regular old analog 2-channel input -- high quality input, however -- and not the SACD signal itself. And if so, then the quality of your recording will also depend on the audio card you are using for your input (a la the M-Audio card with the 24 bit/192khz DACs).

That is correct doug... it is very dependant on the soundcards DAC, many of which are quite cheap (mine). It is also relatively slow (1X) because it's an analog input. Presently it's the same proceedure as burning CD copies of your vinyl records to carry in the car with you. If it's a multichannel recording, you'll have to set your player on stereo playback to make sure nothing is lost.

Another option that preserves the full quality would be to exchange disks on a regular basis. What's the chance that you will both listen to the same recording during the same week? 2.gif

Rob