FS: ultimate center channel speaker for KG4.x & 5.x owners

STL

If you are using a pair of KG4.2s, 5.2s, 4.5s, or 5.5s (they all use a K-85-K tweeter) then I might just have the perfect center channel speaker for you! I have a lone oiled-oak KG4.2 that I am looking to sell. I am willing to redo the front baffle to make this speaker an ideal center channel speaker for you. In case you are not sure what I talking about, here is a picture of a KG3.5 with the baffle redone but at least you get the idea:

SpeakerPic31.jpg

Also check out these threads that talk about the above speaker:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=30172&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={B52FD926-7E78-4AE0-BF08-F12306F3AE4B}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=30808&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={B52FD926-7E78-4AE0-BF08-F12306F3AE4B}

Also note that both the woofer and tweeter already have bucking magnets so they are magnetically shielded!

Hey 4.2 owners,

Speaking as the guy who did the above pictured mod with the help of STL and HornED, GO FOR IT! I went from a KV-2 to the above center channel, but it has been a couple months and I have never looked back with regret. The sound match across the front is seamless and outstanding.

STL knows what he is doing and has made someone a fine offer. A single 4.2 is hard to find.

BTW, with a little trimming of the plastic frame, the original grill fit back on...wife wouldn't have had it any other way..9.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence Redtop! Also note that the KG5.2 uses the exact same model tweeter AND woofer as the KG4.2. It appears Klipsch simply made a larger enclosure for the KG5.2 and used a larger passive radiator to get a little more base response (down to 34Hz instead of 36Hz) and more effecieny (96dB instead of 95dB). At any rate, a KG4.2 would still be an excellent match for a center for KG5.2s. It would also match very very well (better than anything Klipsch has ever made) with a KG4.5 and KG5.5 since they all used the K-85-K tweeter.

Most important question first, how much do you want for the modded 4.2? Next, your mod would have the horn between the active and passive, or to the side of them? I'm interested in matching the 4.2s I have for mains. My KG 2.2 would go in back for rear center duty.

Ob1

Actually I would have to rotate the horn 90 degrees which would mean there isn't enough room for the PR -- but I will port to enclosure to the same frequency the KG4.5 is tuned to. For those who don't know, porting and using a PR are both forms of venting an enclosure (and they are basically equivalent). Also note that both the KG4.2 and KG4.5 use the exact same woofer. Since tuning an enclosure is only a factor of internal enclosure volume, port diameter, and port length I was able to determine the frequency that the KG4.5s are tuned to (reverse engineering so to speak). Now I just take that frequency and use the internal volume of the KG4.2 to determine the appropriate port for it!

I am asking for $175 for the modified speaker (with the buyer paying actual shipping and insurance costs from 63376 zipcode).

• 3 weeks later...