Pressed-in passive radiator on KG4

prburton

The rear passive radiator on one of my KG4s (c. 1990) was partially pressed in by movers. No crease or break in the material (sounds fine too) looks like it needs only to be popped out.

Any tips on removing the radiator and reshaping it? Thanks.

If it is the little dome shaped piece at the centre of the cone then that simply is the "dustcover" and has no effect on the sound - particularly because on a passive radiator there is nothing for the dustcover to protect. In other words the so-called dustcover is merely a prop to make the PR look like a "real" speaker.

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the PR.

I have heard of people using a vacuum cleaner to suck the dent out. I'd be careful and maybe filter some of the power by placing a cloth over the end of the hose first and try that. I have two dented dust covers and just left them like that for now.

Pat

Both of the "drones" on my Forte IIs got pushed in years and years ago. Hasn't affected the sound one bit. But in my more anal days, I used to pull them out with a loop of tape, a vacuum hose attachment, or a little hook made out of a paper clip. These methods all work, but you know what's gonna happen don't you? They're just going to get pushed in again! 3.gif

Thanks to all commenters. The vaccuum did the trick, however, I noticed that the other speaker has a black cover piece on the center of the passive radiator. (This cover is the piece that appears to have a logo on later models.)

I suppose the cover got knocked off when original damage occurred. Any ideas on sourcing and replacing cover?

• 19 years later...