DIY sub project

cdsang

Ok, I have been looking around the web at places like Crutchfield and PartsExpress.com. I was wondering what I should do as far as design goes. I was thinking of doing a horn design. Besides size, is there anything bad about doing a sub this way. And is it true with horns, the longer, the louder? If this is true, it may save me a good amount of money instead of buying multiple woofers for one box. And I am not looking so much for under 20 Hz performance, but at least 30Hz and up. Any ideas on how big of a horn I would have to use to gain possibly a 10 dB increase and a decent output at 30Hz and above. The biggest woofer I want to use is a 12 but smaller is ok to. Thank you in advance.

I'm guessing you were already looking at the http://www.prosoundweb.com/lsp/ Horn Subwoofer designed by Danley using the LAB12 driver (available at PartsExpress)? It appears to be a good design, and like you already mentioned the biggest drawback of horn-loaded subs is their inherent lack of bass extension and their complex construction... while their biggest benefit is efficiency. They are also HUGE for interior use... and you thought a heritage Klipsch is large... 9.gif

Are you looking for high SPL or to use a low powered amp? Depending what your maximum SPL/amp you are looking for, you may consider the Adire Audio Maelstrom 18" driver in a standard enclosure... http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/drivers/adire/maelstrom.htm I know you are thinking that this thing is large, but it is very efficient with a powerful motor, moves a lot of air and uses a small enclosure. Plug in it's specs in a program like WinISD and you'll see that it's got a very short group delay (often referred to as a fast sub or a musical sub).

Another option would be, as the current trend seems to be, to get a sub with a large Vd (volume displacement) and buy a pro amp to go with it. In this group you would find subs like the Stryke AV12 and AV15, Adire Tumult etc... I had posted about the JBL MPC amps on liquidation on here a while back... at 192$ for 900W and 143$ for 700W power can be cheap... but they do require converting from 230V to 120V.

I've opted for a JBL-MPC 700W with the Stryke AV15 to hopefully keep up with my Klipsch.

I will put in my 2 cents worth of info that I have gathered over my short time of wanting to build horn speakers...

You must carefully choose the woofer for your horn enclosure. The pressure inside of a folded horn is much greater than that of an open front or down firing sub. Like you said, size must be large. If you want extension down to 30Hz, the mouth of the horn would be VERY large. look at the LabHorn, and head over to DIYAudio.com and search through their loudspeaker forums. No doubt you will stumble upon several posts there by me, as well as others who have successfully built speakers too big to fit into the bed of a pickup truck.

When choosing your driver, I think it is recommended that the Qtc be 2 or above... maybe that is Qms... I cannot remember right off the bat. Due to the excessive pressures created at the origin of the horn, normal drivers will fracture and fall apart over time of loud, low bass playing.

You will also want to look at the sound pressure the driver can play... Eminence are a nice brand, but all speakers by them that I looked into were not strong enough for the rpessure. The Adire DPL12 (I think that is the one...) would work great in a horn sub.

Search the net for horn theory, and horn loudspeaker design, etc. I found some good sites, but am at school right now, and don't know the URL's. I can post them later, when I get home, if you would like to read more.

EDIT: That value that must eb above 2 could also be Qes, or Qts... so, just about anything with a Q. lol I will check when I get home.

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 4/22/2003 12:21:30 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

I will put in my 2 cents worth of info that I have gathered over my short time of wanting to build horn speakers...

Search the net for horn theory, and horn loudspeaker design, etc. I found some good sites, but am at school right now, and don't know the URL's. I can post them later, when I get home, if you would like to read more.

EDIT: That value that must eb above 2 could also be Qes, or Qts... so, just about anything with a Q. lol I will check when I get home.

----------------

I would like to have some of those links. I want to build a good, big thumping sub. Also some speaker cabinets like the Klipshorn fior an ElectroVoice 15" woofer 14" horn and tweeter horn. I thiank that they would do well in a Klipshorn style cabinet also need to buyild a large center speaker to go with my MCM 1900s.

Thanks

Bill