Subwoofer (s) for large room?

woolygums

I have a room that is 44Lx25Wx10H

main system speakers are MCM 1900 Industrial with split bass cabs, low mids, horn high mids and tweeters. "M" Network crossovers.

I am looking for a subwoofer or a pair of subs. Considering one Sunfire Signature or perhaps two SVS 20-39PCI or SVS 16-46PCI. Or whatever else instead?

What is your primary application for these subs? Will it be used for movies or music listening primarily? Either way, I think that the SVS will definitely fill that size room, however you might consider the PC+ version as opposed to the PCI version. E-mail Tom or Ron at SVS and give them your room dimensions/layout and they will be happy to let you know which they would reccommend for you. They are very helpful. Keep on rockin!

uh, golly...

You have the MCM1900 system in the house, in a (grantly large) room?

The only thing that I can think of that *MIGHT* keep up with that system would be a pair (or four, maybe) VMPS Larger Subwoofers driven by a *LOT* of amplifier power, one of the ServoDrive subs, or something like the Krell sub. I don't think even the highest output SVS is going to match the volume output you get from the MCM system. I'd also suggest and email to HDBR Builder and see if he has any suggestions.

Thanks for the replies!

These are some big muthas! The bass cabs suposedly weigh in at 288 pounds each. The total set weighs just over 1500 pounds. Black with aluminum trim.

My wife and I are converting a warehouse into a home. I am not concerned about bothering the neighbors. The outside walls are two feet thick and there are no neighbors anyway! But I digress.

I like music, but primarily am into Home Theater. Right now I have a 64 Pioneer HDTV but plan to upgrade into a front projection unit. Probably a "C" big ugly dish on the roof. Now have a DIRECTV HD oval dish. Love that TIVO!

As I mentioned our living room is 44L x 25W X 10H.

The floor will be hardwood and oriental carpets. I may hang one oriental carpet on a wall or two to help deaden echoes. That is a problem as there are no windows or drapes.

I have a fair Pioneer a/v tuner/amp, but could upgrade.

I have a hearing loss, too much rock and roll in the 1960's and 1970's, so the higher frequencies are lost on me, but I LOVE the bass!

I also am wondering about DIY subwoofers. Two of the bass cabs have badly water damaged speakers, but the cabinets are fine. Do you think that I might convert these to powered subwoofers?

Bill

Atlanta GA

"main system speakers are MCM 1900 Industrial with split bass cabs, low mids, horn high mids and tweeters. "M" Network crossovers."

HOLY COW

6.gif

Damn

Ok lets start,NO SVS cylinder subs or Sunfire Signature can keep up,even to half the MCM 1900 output,heck a quarter of the MCM 1900 output.

If you use at least six-eight SVS Ultras or ten-twelve Sunfire Sigs then you should be happy.

I would seek two SVS B4-Plus powered by two herculean Crown Macro amps or dual Krell MRS.With two of the top of the line SVS or Krell you might be set,I am sure your ears would crap out well before you hit the limits on either setup.

If you like smallish cubes then the most powerful is the new Earthquake 15" woofer/PR,this sub pounds out SPL of two Sunfire Sigs!Even then you would need multiple subs

The cheapest non DIY way is to get dual SVS B4-Plus with two massive Crown amps.You would not go above $8000 and have world class sub bass with earth quaking power.

But then again the MCM 1900 is capable of extreme SPL with total ease,only very large custom horn subs would be the only way to go.

Wooley

Glad you have a large room!!!! WOW.

I would call or email Tom V at SVS for advise. He is very helpfull. With the efficentcy of the MCM, I think you are looking at ULtras at a minimum.

Not sure you need 8 as Ears points out since you are not really driving the MCMs in your room, else you would be deaf already. All you need is bass for a room your size.

My room is 22' by 34' by 9' and I have dual Ultras with plenty of Bass to spare.