I need speakers low on space

livingsacrifice

in that case, go for the quintets... they will sound great for teh setup u require.

just make sure to get a decent sub. i found an onkyo sub for 149 at abt electronics... im sure that will suffice for now.

so heres where u stand:

quintets (5 speakers, off of ebay) 250

onkyo sub (149)

total = 400

seems good doesnt it?

Seems very good, I think that is what I will get. I'll buy that 5 speaker set on Monday and grab the sub later on (I guess the sub could be more money). Thanks for the help everyone. One other question - Will the speaker stands it come with be able to be mounted to the wall or do I need seperate ones?

They can be put right up against a wall. They have a threaded rod for speaker mounts or keyholes for screws. They're also front ported so you don't have to worry about blocking the port. I uploaded a pic of the back of my brother's KSB1.1's.

Which Wharfedale are you using? The KSB1.1's can sound very good if coupled with a subwoofer.

i think since space is such a premium, just go for the quintets and the onkyo sub. the quintets can easily be hooked up to the wall by reversing their stands. im sure that when u have this setup all hooked up, they will sure sound much better than any system bose has to throw at u.

just go for the quintets.

I am using the Wharfedale Valdus 100SE bookshelf speakers. I will grab a subwoofer later on (probably the last thing I will get because of the cost). That is interesting how they hang on the wall like that, looks like a pretty simple install. I dunno, I'm torn between these or the Quintet's, but I still will probably keep my Wharfedales somewhere in the vacinity of the house, they sound so good when playing audio cd's.

livingsacrifice,

I believe the Wharfedale Valdus 100SE's are rear ported reflex's with a low frequency around 58Hz. Bear in mind that the entire Quintent setup without a sub will not produce bass anywhere near what the Wharfedales are presently giving you.

I recommend before buying a Quintent only setup that you visit a local Klipsch dealer and have a listen to them with and without a subwoofer activated during playback of some familar music. Just don't want you to be disappointed with their lack of low bass with no subwoofer. Willing to bet your love of the Klipsch Promedia system is greatly due to a subwoofer in that setup.

Think you should kick the tires first!

----------------

On 4/28/2003 9:38:20 AM livingsacrifice wrote:

Wow, I didn't know they got down to 58hz....

----------------

Was curious, so I looked up the Wharfedale's LF rating.

Think you will be very pleased with the Quintet's once a sub is added. I have them in my bedroom (13'6" x 14'8") with a less than adequate old Infinity Satellite Sub. I do like the Qunit's they really shine, the sub is ok if not pushed to hard, and it certainly can't keep up with the Quintets at high volume. Presently, it a good compromise til I elect to get a better sub.

Just a matter of time before it will all comes together.

Regards,

Wes

Yeah, I'm still thinking the Quartets. Those other speakers don't even come with the stuff needed to mount them on the wall. Lemme ask a little bit about subwoofers, whats a good choice in a 8 or 10" sub, something small that I could try and find some room for (I wish I had a bigger room, but between my instruments, amps, and computer, and bed I have not much space left). Also, I can buy these satalites in pairs off of ebay and I was thinking would their be a better center channel that would match these quintets, or how does the center sound?

The current Quintet Microsystem setup w/sub includes a Klipsch's KSW-10 (10") sub. My Infinity is smaller than an 8", but does gets boomy when pushed hard. That's what you hope to avoid. If funds permitted, I'd opt for at least a 10". Check out places like Circuit City and Best Buy to see if there's something you like. Then try and find it on eBay, Audiogon.com or an online electronics shopping site.

You can buy Quintets by the pair, but you would have to try and find a matching Quint or other center. There was a similar question in the past, I recall one of the Klipsch Moderators stating that the Synergy Series SC-1 may be a worthwhile substitute as a Quintet Center. You can always give Klipsch a call to verify your center options.

I gave an SC-1 center & SS.5 surrounds to my son last year for his HT system. Sorry, but I never tried either of them with the Quintet setup.

Yeah thats basically the same thing I try to avoid with car audio subs I can't stand the really boomy ones so I got a really good one that is used mostly for sound quality and it sounds so awesome. I would hope the Klipsch home subs would be the same way. I think I'm gonna order my 2 pairs of them later today and then try and find a good center to get, either that or buy the sub first.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Ubid.com for the Quintets. I picked up 4 for about $120 (shipping and tax included!) I also have synergy series bookshelfs (KSB-1.1) and center channel (KSC-C1). The quintets (3 of them) serve as RSurround, LSurround, and Rear Center. Not a bad setup and I only spent $310 for all seven, brand new, not refurb or used.