White Van.. $50, Dell Axim, UPS, Time Warner Sucks

justin_tx_16

Just wanted to add my two cents about Time Warner. I had a similar problem with their RoadRunner service in NY. After they installed it, there were intermittant problems with picture quality of the digital cable channels (lots of random dropouts in the image, pixallation, and cable box reboots), as well steadily worsening cable modem service. At one point we were without the cable modem for almost 2 weeks.

After getting dealing with their no-nothing technical people, I decided to remedy the situation myself.

I initially thought it was some kind of ground loop, because I was also getting snow in the video signal every once in a while. I tried grounding the incoming cable to house ground, getting a signal amplifier, and other kinds black magic. Nothing worked.

After a little further research, I found that the problem was the cable splitter that we had installed. Apparently, both the digital cable box and the cable modem are very sensitive to line levels in the incoming cables. If the cable level is below a certain threshold, it will give you all kinds of wierdo problems. The cheapo cable splitter that the cable company installed was a 4-way model that had an average signal decrease at each of the four output terminals of 11dB. I was searched around the net and was able to find a military spec signal splitter that split into just 3 outputs (which was all I needed), each with an average signal drop at each output terminals of just 5dB.

After installing this new splitter, all my problems went away. I get a great cable signal (far better than what I head with analog cable, and now I have a direct digital coaxial output for killer sound quality), and all of my problems with the cable modem went away.

JuneBug...

That was actually our problem when we first got this all but now we have a line for TV and a line for RoadRunner so they don't share a line and have to split. We have MonsterCable splitters which are SUPPOSED to be high quality, these split up only the TV signals.

Justin,

I was going to buy the Linksys but was talked out of it by a saleperson. He said that the D-Link is cheaper and that they actually developed the technology that Linksys bought and uses in their systems. Brought it home and hooked it up in minutes. Works like a charm. BTW, I would ditch RR if I were you. I've got a DSL connection at home which performs as fast as RR and only costs me $30/month as opposed to $48 for RR and I'm always up.

Justin

The rumor is that Directv is selling and getting rid of there internet system. But as for the TV it is the best around. I live in Wisconsin and I think I only lost a signal four or five times in the last five years. We can get some nasty snow storms. I had a two room system installed for free with the boxes. I then upgraded with caller ID and dolby digital. When you get a call the name and number come up on the bottom of the screen so you don't have to look at the phone. This is great. If you don't like it you can shut it off.

Yes, Directv did close the DSL system. I was on it, & loved it, but they shut it down to concentrate on the sat systems.

I also talked to some friends who have DTV up north, in bad weather areas. I was told they only way it is installed up there is by trading in the 18" dish & getting the 22" dish. He said there are NO signal drops at all, any time!

Edit: It shut down back in January.

I live in wisconsin(up north) with an 18" round dish 95 signal strengh and it never goes out either. We had a nice thunder storm today and no problems. I think the cable companies have the public deseved about it. Although cable has some nice new stuff like the nascar channels, which include all radio talk from the driver and pit.