Another happy NOS Valves customer...

ChrisK

Finally moved my Scott 299 into the house for a run around the block with my Cornwall's. Since I got it back from Craig, it's been relegated to the garage system 'till the cabinet was finally refinished. Ya know, WAF and all. BTW, how come most women can't appreciate the beauty in a rack full of glowing tubes? I much prefer the look of my Scott with the cabinet off. Anyway, Craig asked me to report how it sounded compared to my Cary 300SEI. So hear goes....

Volume & Power - The Scott wins hands down. The Scott is far more "effortless" than the Cary. I never would have used that description before this comparison. You can hear a difference.

Detail - The Cary gets the edge here, but not by a lot. There is more space in the sound.

Imaging - Almost a draw since I can't seem to get my Cornwall's to do much of this. However, in the garage with the Scott hooked up to a pair of Dynaco A-25's, there was imaging galore.

Soundstage - Once again the Cary gets a slight nod.

Versatility - Gotta go with the Scott. The tone controls are very cool. I know most purists cringe at the thought, but you can really have fun with them. If you want more bass from John Paul Jones, no problem. If you want to hear Monk's chops better against 'Trane's horn, go for it. Can't do that with a Cary.

Overall - A draw. That's why they are both staying in the rack. If I want to walk around to the sounds of Janis or Jimi, or fill the house on weekend mornings with Dvorak or Heifetz, I hook up the Scott. For late nights with some wine, the wife and Miles or Cassandra...or, with some herbal enhancement, the wife and the new 30th anniverserary Dark Side of the Moon, I'll go with the Cary.

Life is good. Thanks Craig. BTW, my best buddy Josh told me he bought a 299 on eBay today and it's already on it's way to you. Just how many of these things have you rebuilt by now?

Regards,

Chris