Sealed AV15 sonotube (pictures and graph)

fabulousfrankie

This subwoofer was built for my brother's car audio system but he has no car right now:). It the internal volume is 3 cu ft with 24oz of polyfill. It still needs to be covered with a grey cloth he bought. He tried to match the aluminum cone with aluminum paint.

I just sold my CS Ultra/Samson S1000 and I'm waiting for 2 AV-15's myself...so I'm using this while waiting.

It's being powered by a Samson S1500(750Wx2 @ 4 ohms), I picked it up for $369 shipped. Quite a good deal for that much power. Like the S1000, the fans are silent.

It's my first sealed sub and I like it better than my Ultra for music, it just seems to disappear a little better with music(this bass is very addicting). It's great for HT as well but it's missing the low end ferocity of my Ultra, this was expected since the Ultra was ported and I had it tuned to 16Hz. On with the graph...

AV15(graph).gif

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

That seems to extend pretty good for such a small sealed enclosure... were those near field or from your seated position? Have you tried pushing it? Just wondering on how it handled 750W... mind you, it probably wouldn't bottom out in that sealed box. Dont worry, I won't tell your brother... 9.gif

BFD really tames that room responce... i'll have to look into one, once i actually build my sub... 1.gif

Rob.

----------------

On 5/1/2003 11:16:28 PM formica wrote:

That seems to extend pretty good for such a small sealed enclosure... were those near field or from your seated position? Have you tried pushing it? Just wondering on how it handled 750W... mind you, it probably wouldn't bottom out in that sealed box. Dont worry, I won't tell your brother...
9.gif

BFD really tames that room responce... i'll have to look into one, once i actually build my sub...
1.gif

Rob.

----------------

Rob,

The measurements were taken 13ft away at the listening position. I was suprised at the low frequency extension, it sounds damn good too. I have pushed it and it just soaks up all the amp has to give. After reducing that peak at 45hz by about 12dB it took a little headroom from the amp. I only noticed it would start clipping when I was trying to test the limits, the sub never bottomed or showed any signs of distress.

I tried testing it's limits w/out the eq in place and it was scary! It was getting so loud I was really scared I was going to damage something. There were no signs of stress, I just chickened out and backed off.

Well...I felt a little cooky(just finished a 9 page paper as the final for my communications class, maybe that's what did it3.gif) and wanted to see what kind of SPL peaks I could get at my listening position. I was playing my Bass Ectasy from my Bass Erotica CD and was hitting peaks in the 114-116dB range from 13ft away. Considering how low the material on the CD is and how rolled off the low end on the sub is, I think it's quite good. I only stopped when the S1500 started clipping.

One valuable lesson I learned from this is not put small speakers on the edge of shelves where they can be vibrated off. I had just put my little Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble IV speakers on the top shelf of my audio rack to take pictures because I had intentions of selling them. Well before this SPL test they looked new, now one of the satellites has a dent in the grill because it took a 5ft drop7.gif. I'm gonna see if I can just bend it back into shape though.

A word to the wise, secure all tiny objects before firing up your subs9.gif.

Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers were my dream PC speakers a few years ago. 1.gif

If the weakling amp starts to hyperventilate just get a Krell dude.Its your woofers that will start to show signs of stress.

I know the famous and devoid of any musical value Bass Erotica CD,it just vibrates walls and livers and makes you wonder who in hell composed this nonsense.

Its BOOM BOOM BOOM AND more BOOM

Good to hear your Stryke subs perform well

----------------

On 5/7/2003 10:31:28 PM TheEAR wrote:

Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers were my dream PC speakers a few years ago.
1.gif

If the weakling amp starts to hyperventilate just get a Krell dude.Its your woofers that will start to show signs of stress.

I know the famous and devoid of any musical value Bass Erotica CD,it just vibrates walls and livers and makes you wonder who in hell composed this nonsense.

Its BOOM BOOM BOOM AND more BOOM

Good to hear your Stryke subs perform well

----------------

The CSW speakers I have aren't the PC version, they're from the Enemble IV HT. I'm actually thinking of replacing my Klipsch PM2.1's moving the Cambridge to my computer and building a small sub.

As far as the amp goes, I was trying to get the most bass out of the $975 I sold my SVS Ultra and Samson S1000 for so Krell or anything at half the price is over budget.

Since my brother is still carless, he has no use for this sub. Next week I'm going to start building the 5ft tall sonotubes for my dual AV-15's. While waiting I'll probably pull my brother's out of his sealed enclosure and dump it in one of my vented until my pair arrives.

The Bass Erotica is pretty much garbage, my brother bought it just for fun.

All the hardware stores I've seen only have the 8", 10", and 12" tubes. For something larger(walls are thicker too), I had to look in my yellow pages to find a concrete supply company, . Makes sure you call around because prices can vary greatly. My brother paid $26 for the 30" piece used for this sub but I found another place that will sell me a 12' section for $40.

The only thing about where my brother got his from is they cut it and delivered it to the house. I was just at Sonoco's site and there's an email address or number to call to find a dealer near you. Keep in mind this is only a brand, there are other brands of the same thing.