What is the tap setting in original type A?

I learn from AL and John Warren that original type AA used 4-0 in the output, 5-0 in the input.

The original type AB2 and AL3 used 3-0 in the output in my Belle and La Scala.

I never saw a old original type A in this forum, would like to ask the default setting by PWK in type A.

AL also suggested some other taps setting like 5-2 and 4-x, in the ALK crossover.

I would like to ask the users of type A, what settings you are using.

Thanks for any comment

Tubelion

Type%20A2.jpg

The Type AA is a derivation of the Type A. Both use a T2A autoformer. The AL-3 used a T4 autoformer, thus the different tap numbers. The numbers themselves cannot be related to each other. However 3-0 on a T4 is the same, or about the same as 4-0 on a T2A.

post-2142-1381924723322_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

Thanks for your information as I suspect the number may or may not mean the same thing in different transformer.

So 4-0 is the default in T2a, Do I need to check it is the same as the 4-0 in 3619?

So I will convert 4-x back to 4-0 in my 3619 to go back where PWK designed.

I am also bit confused as AL stated in his website that the + - polarity is changed in his design, so for input tap 5 is + , tap 0 is - side and ground. for output, tap x is +, 4 is -.

In my type A, it seems tap 4 is +, x is - side, am I correct?

Thanks again

Tubelion.

Hi John,

I think AL's advice about polarity is for his crossover, I will keep exactly to the type A schematic you showed above.

I am experimenting with 4-0 at the output right now , knowing it is the PWK's original design, sound is different to 4-x, I will wait for a while to see which setting is better, but I find it easy to shift, just disconnect the x to ground, then it is 4-0, using the 0 as common ground, reconnect the wire x to ground then it is 4-x, change is done within half a minute. change to other setting needs soldering such as 5-2, so I will leave that for the moment.

Hope I have connected it right.

Tubelion

I don't believe connecting the x to ground is the same as 4-0 in that autoformer. Have you built your own Type A? If you have, you must change the squawker cap every time you change the autoformer tap. Only with Al's crossover, using the swamping resistor, can you change the taps without other changes. If you have Al's crossovers, you should keep his polarity.

The attached file is a crossover schematic I can recommend.

Hi John,

Thanks for your information and schematic.

I am using my type A, now switch back to 4-0. That should be OK.

I did ask AL, switch to 4-x should not make a big change of frequency in type A. So I may try later.

The new crossover you shared is a bit complicated that leaves from the simplicity that I prefer right now, but I appreciate much you share it to me.

Thanks again

Tubelion

• 7 months later...

Thanks, John

I've been busy reading (and rereading) the thread about Al's new efforts in building "extreme-slope" xovers for LaSs and Belles. Very interesting. So I'm wondering about a xover I use between my Khorns and Earthquake subs. It's a Dod SR 823, with 24 db/octave (an active xover). They are pretty inexpensive, working on the preamp side of things. With bi or tri-amping, would something like this work well for mid and high freq. as well as it seems to work at ~50 Hz?

Benesesso