Any easy way to convert an Type AA X-over to Type A???

Just curious... I have Type AA's in my '74 K-horns & have been intrigued about the simplicity of the Type A.

Since the Type AA is a derivation of the Type A (as per John A's posting), can the Type AA be converted to a Type A simply (& reversible)?

Since I use flea power, I already disconnected the tweeter diode protection & have kept everything else "stock".

Thanks,

Pete

I kept my AA's intact rather than modify them and built a set of modified type A's for my LaScalas using Hovland caps for the HF and Solen inductors and caps for the mid (with a 3619 autoformer)and bass. I listened to the original type AA's for a couple of months, ALK's for a couple of months, and then installed the modified type A's. I prefer the modified type A's.

The easiest way to convert the AA to an A is to go from terminal 5 on the autoformer to one of the 2 mF caps and then directly to the tweeter terminal. This will bypass the second 2 mF cap, the 245 microHenry inductor and the tweeter protection switches and give you a type A crossover. A word of warning: the tweeter protection switches are there for a reason. Although the high frequency energy is much lower than the mid or bass, high power signals can overrun the capabilities of the tweeter and some tweeter models are more vulnerable than others. One watt will not hurt them (on a LaScala that is 104 dB...loud!) and I believe others have estimated very high SPL's before issues could occur(personally I don't like to take chances with tweeters). Also, carefully trace the wiring as you make the modification to ensure accuracy.

The Klipsch A and AA networks are at a disadvantage here because of the part selection. The A or AA with better parts (foil caps and better chokes) can give very good results. It's too bad more people don't try what you did. The A and its mod the AA were around for years and, at that time, it was no seceret that better parts made improvements.