Wires across tile

michaelstano

I mentioned this problem in the "In wall audio racks" thread, but thought I would post a special topic.

Any ideas on how to improve the appearance of wires running across open floors? I can't run wires to speakers and TV through the walls, ceilings, or floors. I currently have 3 speaker wires (each about the size of coax), an s-video cable, a sub cable, and a coax cable running across a 3 foot space between my gear closet and the sunken living room. I have tried the rubber wire cover that is commonly used in offices--it takes two pieces, side-by-side, and looks terrible. Flat speaker wire might help, but I'd still have all the other cables to contend with. I don't have the courage to try what a friend has suggested--drilling horizontally through quarry tile and stem wall, and drilling vertically through tile and slab floor to run an "underground" pipechase.

TIA for any help.

Mike

You can make a somewhat larger (ie: mostly higher, a little bit wider, whatever) kickboard to replace the existing moulding, making it 'hollow' on the wall side to house cables. These could even be made in removable sections. If you need any info as to what I'm getting at, email me.

Sorry, guys, I need to clarify.

The wire runs across a walk way--one must step over (on!) it. The flooring is quarry tile over a cement slab. The wires have to terminate down in the living room, 25 feet away. The house is built in such a way that wires must run across the floor someplace (unless I drill into the slab)--I can't go through walls, ceilings, out-of-doors, etc..

Wire loom might work instead of the rubber molding I've been using, but I'd need several runs of it to avoid too big a bump in the throw rug that covers the wire and on which people walk.

Just an off the wall thought...

How thick are your tiles? How wide is your grout line? Maybe there isn't enough room, but maybe you could remove the grout between a few sets of tile and run flat wire in the bottom of the grout space, then re-grout over it?

DD

See, this is why I love this forum!

Doug--the tile is too close-set to permit what you suggest, but great idea. Q-man's idea is absolutely perfect. When I told my spouse, she immediately approved. I'll use unstained oak to match the cabinets. Also think I'll modify Q-man's concept by turning the "cover" 90 degrees where it meets the sunken livingroom so that the 2 foot vertical run/drop is also covered.

Totally hidden wire would be great, but not possible. And, a run of good wood sure beats turning my friend loose with a high-impact concrete drill!

Again, thanks.

----------------

On 5/12/2003 8:56:21 AM michaelstano wrote:

Q-man's idea is absolutely perfect.

----------------

It's OK, I guess, if you're into that simple-workable-will-look-great-doesn't-require-drilling-in-concrete-or-Dremel-tooling-up-your-grout kind of thing.

D2

I'm sorry I came to this discussion late, but if it's not too late, I have an alternate idea. Now mind you, I'm no electrician, or even an electrical engineer, but I know those types follow my posts closely (and I'm sure they steal my good ideas and make tons of dough off of them, but I stray from my point). Ahem.

You need to get the signal across some sort of walkway, right? How about using some fancy transformers (I guess...remember: I have no qualifications), and boost the signal so high that it would arc across the gap (aka walkway, hall, etc.) to another transformer on the other side, restoring the original signal. The only thing guests would trip on would be the pretty "lightning."

Go ahead, I give permission to use this idea.

fini

Since I haven't started "construction," I am still open to ideas.

As a modification of your idea, fini, what about transmitting all my audio and video signals to a hijacked satelite, and then beaming signals back to each speaker and the TV? This would avoid endangering guests and would prevent any long-term effects from exposure to electromagnetic forces.

Just an idea.

Mike,

I don't think anyone would be "endangered!" I mean, you do have that Monster Power unit hooked up, right? There must be an extra plug available (or am I thinking of the MkIII model?).

fini

Well, I'm a satellite engineer, so maybe we could talk about hijacking a bird...9.gif You may still get to live with the EM forces; (putting on my nerd hat and pocket protector)...Assuming you want to uplink from your reciever to a satellite (22,300 miles away), you'll need either a sizable satellite dish, or a sizable amplifier. The sizable amp with a small dish can lead to cooked private parts right quick. 10.gif

I like Q's idea and will keep that in mind for any future application.

I just realized my idea was a bit absurd. That kind of technology is just not readily available to most audio enthusiasts. My new idea is to run the cables out the window and around the Earth, then in through a window on the side where the speakers are, thus avoiding a hallway trip hazard. Speaker wire is available virtually everywhere.

fini (at your service)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, Doug...where do I begin? 9.gif I love that show, but I guess when you know all about the satellite stuff, and they throw something at you that can't possibly happen, then it kinda ruins things. Sometimes I can suspend my brain, but other times I can't. It was about the same when I took my first orbital mechanics class; Star Trek was never the same. Poor old Enterprise just can't do the kind of orbits they talk about on the show.

Ok, I'll return to my engineering cubicle now. 11.gif

I hear ya, Rob. You know I was just teasing. My computer background causes me brain freeze when Marshall (and those folks on "24") just whip in and out of "secured systems" like kids through a screen door on a beautiful spring day...

but, when the, err, technology is so beautiful, who cares if it's accurate?

DD