Klipschorns are due Monday, May 12

Craighorn

My Klipschorns are due tomorrow... in the original boxes/manuals etc.... There is talk about the best way to seal the bass bins in the corner of the room. My "audio" room is 40 by 16 by 7.5 feet. The corners that the horns will be located in are all concrete ( floor AND walls ) with thick pads and carpeting on the floor and drywall over 4 inches on insulation on the walls. It is a very neutral room.

What is the best way to ensure that the speakers are properly set up for the best bass response ?

And pictures WILL be posted... Thanks

Craighorn, what year are your new Klipschorns? Please be sure to post your impressions after you hook them up and as you get used to them.

My 2003 Khorns only seem to be getting better with more use. It's subjective I know, but they are sounding "mellower" and more mellifluous as time goes on. More well-rounded, as it were, not as brittle and "thin" as they seemed at the beginning five weeks ago. Nice.

Craighorn, what year are your new Klipschorns? Please be sure to post your impressions after you hook them up and as you get used to them.

My 2003 Khorns only seem to be getting better with more use. It's subjective I know, but they are sounding "mellower" and more mellifluous as time goes on. More well-rounded, as it were, not as brittle and "thin" as they seemed at the beginning five weeks ago. Nice.

Re sealing, mine are only pressed up against the wall with the factory seal, which is like rubber tubular weatherstripping. The seal with the wall is not perfect, but does not appear to make a great deal of difference, either. The factory seal is only around the tailboard, not around the outside back perimeter of the bass cabinet.

Perhaps other more experienced Khorners will have a different opinion on the effect of the seal.

DT - Thanks for replying. The K-horns are 1991 vintage, and the current owner sent 12 pictures showing them to be in perfect shape. We are a pretty committed Klipsch house. Our home theater is Based on a pair of 2001 Belles... with Klipsch centers and surrounds... and I also have a pair of Cornwalls from 1986 that will be the rear speakers in my basement Dad Stereo room. This will make 3 pairs of Heritage plus we have 2 pairs of RB-5's a pair of KLF-10's and a CF-7 senter channel... it is massive and works seamlessly with the Belles. Looking forward to hearing the big guys... We paid $3500 delivered, but they are a great Walnut finish, original boxes/manuals... so it did not seem too bad.

I used foam weather stripping to seal my K-horns into their corners. I went down the tail board and out the upper bass bin for as far as it contacts the wall. Made a big difference for me, but mine weren't in good corners before I used the weather stripping.