Golden Rule?

big_gto

After browsing through several books on building speaker cabinets they all seem to recommend 1:1, 1:1.6, 1:.6 ratio.

But when measuring most speaker cabinet demensions I find that a lot of speakers are close to this ratio for height and width, the depth is usually way off. Anyone know why? Seems like boomin bass would result.

I may be wrong, but don't those "rules" assume perfectly reflective walls? If this were so, adding acoustic insulation would drastically change its behaviour...

The cabinet width is often defined by dispersion, while height and depth would be defined by enclosure volume... followed by aesthetics.

The golden ratio is .625 X 1 X 1.6 = 1

15 X 24 X 38.4

How big is a Cornwall again?

Making sure no unit is a whole multiple of any other minimizes standing waves.

8' X 12'10" X 20'6" would make a nice room.

Yes to the bass issue. That is why most compensate through various methods of Xover, speakers, porting and acoustical treatment.

djk has it right, and if the speakerbox and room box are golden ratio you will have a decent match. Couple this with solidly matched speakers and things get really nice. Knowing the effect of the ratio can allow you to match your preferred coloration to your ears, so I suggest doing as I do at times - build your own box and evaluate the results for yourself. Some things will get discarded, but the trip is sometimes more fun than arriving at your destination...