is my Mcintosh amp sick or dying?

prodj101

well anyway, we left for our cabin for the weekend on friday. and before I left, I unplugged my 2 channel system, which contains the mcintosh amp. upon arrival this afternoon, I plugged the system back in (after moving the components around a little bit to get them how I wanted them) and started turning stuff on. I turned the mcintosh on and got a pop and the woofers moved a good 2 centimeters very slowly. I don't remember this ever happening, however I have seen this happen on other amplifiers, and I can't imagine it's a good thing. anyway, what can you guys tell me? is there a simple thing that I could have done wrong? i.e. bumping a wire so it is just barely touching both taps or something like that?

O.K., you still have the driver movement but no pop -- is that right?

If you were leaking DC, or had a blown cap -- I think you would see something more serious that what you are seeing. I think it's very possible for a driver to move a little on start up.

How does it sound?

DJ

I will check my center channel woofers the next time I turn on my system.

I get a pop occasionally when I turn on my Mc amps. I always assumed it was static buildup because they are the older 2 prong plugs and I have both the power and nutural wires disconnected when the system is off.

Dean the humm you mention about the lost cap, is he humm from the speakers, or from the amp. I have an amp that makes a loud hum for a split second at power up. Is that a blown capasitor?

Thanks,

JM