Questions about the Synergy line.

MarvinG

I think Ive decided on Klipsh, but due to space (no room for front towers) and overall budget restrictions, it will be the Synergy line, specifically, the SB-3/SC-1/SS-1 and KSW-12. Some questions.

1)Is the HK325 (or Denon 2803) a good match for these speakers? Room is only 11 x 17. Mainly for HT, but some music as well.

2) Ive heard general negative comments re the KSW-12 in this forum. Is it really that bad? If I go for another (SVS model ?), is matching a non-issue?

3) I assume for a sub, one uses a single speaker cable , ie fixed length cables, with banana-plug type connectors at each end . Is that correct?

4) Is cable length an issue? ( ie if I pace a sub sat the back of the room, I may need 30 feet to get to my receiver (ie den to basement back to den).

5) For the other Synergy speakers, does one use traditional speaker wire ( ie cut to length, with twisted stands fed thru hold a hole in a thread post), or does one use fixed length cables with banana plug connectors?

Thanks

Marvin

The Denon 2803 is a great match with the Klipsch and I prefer it over the HK. It has many features of the 3803. the main differences are the fact that it does not up convert video to component, also it is only 90wpc. Other than that it is very similar. The KSW 12 does get bashed a bit in this forum, I have one and really enjoy it. But for the money, you could get an SVS for $600 that would blow it out of the water in terms of SPL as well as go much deeper. Matching will not be an issue. SVS is an awesome value for the money. Please don't use speaker cables for the sub. The 2803 has a sub preout on the back. Simply run an rca from the preout to the sub. This will let you control the crossover point and channel level from the reciever. Cable length isn't a big deal, in the setup on the reciever you set the cable lengths, which will compensate for the differences in wire length. As far as speaker wire, you can do either, but I'd go with the bannana plugs as they give a real clean look and ae very convienent to disconnect if you need to move things around. Good luck on the new speakers and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the reply.

Re AVRs I wont use the AVR for video anyway (video connections are direct to the HDTV) so that's really not a 2803 limitation for me. Re HK, the specs only identify minor difference over the 2803, (eg MP3 decoding, 192k/24bit capable, coax digital outputs) but I dont think these are significant. I was more concerned with posts indicating HKs has a fuller/warmer sound to them over Denon. I suppose Denon owners love Denon, and HK owners love HK. One question I did have though is that if Denon and HK are both hi-current amps, then all things beng equal isnt the 90 wpc Denon 2803 and better deal than the 65 wpc HK 325?

Re subs- thanks Ill check out SVS. Yes I had only planned on using the LFE connector - ie a sub woofer cable, not speaker wire. Something link UltraLink Advanced Performance SubSonix I assume would be ok?? I note this comes up to 49 feet. Is there another favorite/preference?

Re other speakers, I get the point re use of plugs, so I assume this means , measure what you think you need and order fixed length cables, terminated with plugs, accordingly. But for Ultralink for example, I dont see any terminated cables longer than 20 feet. Thats plenty for the fronts/center, but Im going to need twice that for the surrounds mounted in the back of the room 6 feet up. I assume for those , something like Ultralink Challenger cable (unterminated) is the correct choice. Is that correct? Or does someone make long length terminated speaker cables? Waht gauge ie 12? 14? or 16 guage.

Thanks

Marvin

I have that exact setup with an SC1 center. I upgraded to the reference line and now have the "S" line in a den.I have used the setup with a Denon and A Yamaha and frankly prefer the Yamaha, mainly because it is a higher end unit (like the Denon also).Im sure the HK is fine too.The point is, choose your reciever for reasons other than theoretical compatiblity with a given speaker line. Dont believe the nonsense of one receiver sounding better with Klipsch vs another....thats what tone controls are for since manufacturers bias their tone controls a little different. I frankly dont think My RB5s (reference series) are a quantum leap over the SB3s....maybe a little smoother on music. As for the sub...its a typical under 500 unit and better than average for HT and boomy for music.The reference series subs are much "tighter", but more expensive than SVS or other competitors.I know I will probably get blasted, but I have not heard a sub under 1,000 that does well on both music and HT,so if you can get the Klipch for under 300.00, it's a reasonable value.While you're at it...look at the Yamaha RXV1300 on etronics.com for 499.00....about all the receiver most people would ever need, unless you have to have preouts.

Marvin,

I have the SB3's and love them. They provide wonderful sound for the price, and don't have a big foot print into the room. My room is 10 x 20......plus because there so effecient, they don't take alot of power to run them. IMO.......... I use monster cable, just cause at Radio Shack, it was the cheapest around..........cables amoung members here are a diverse subject all together............

Hmmm, that was a nice wild goose chase. Sorry if my newbie question was asked-and-answered. I checked the 3 pages on sub woofer section, again, (as I did before I posted in the first palce) and could not finf itt. Could you give me the exact link?...or perhaps just repeat the short answer?

you would use a Y-connector to connect the sub to the receiver. i used to own a KSW-12 and was happy with its sound in a small room. it could not handle anything super low, and musically it was slow...but for the $$$ it did a good job.

I used a y connector get a volume boost with my ksw-12 but now I have a single subwoofer cable running between my receiver and SVS sub. I beleive that the instructions stated that the cable can be run to either of the input jacks. If you buy a sub from SVS you can also get a good deal on a Better Cables interconnect. I had a hard time finding a resonably priced cable that was long enough.

I'll pile on, too.

Use the Y-adapter on your sub, even if the directions say you don't need to, IMO. I have an SVS 20-39PCi (very musical and very good for home theater as well, IMO, and for much less than $1000) and the instructions say it is not necessary to use a Y and there would be no difference if I did. Well, I used a Y and there is a measurable difference - LOUDER!

Speaker wires -- hmmm. I don't know how much the brand you are looking at costs, but I would keep it in perspective of the amount you invest in your speakers. I started out with Carol 12gauge from a nearby audio boutique (Home Depot). I recently upgraded my fronts to IXIS from www.accessories4less.com 'cause it was on clearance and it looked cool (braided purple wires), so I'm not the definitive source on scientific wire selection. But, you might check their website for some good steals.

You can make your own subwoofer cable if the run is too long for pre-made. Just get a good, shielded stranded RG-59 or RG-6 coax cable (I believe Belden makes one) and put some RCA terminators on them (available from www.partsexpress.com).

Enjoy!

Doug

I agree with doug, the y connector will boost the volume. I just didn't feel that I didn't need it with my svs.

Thanks for the cable building advice Doug, I've saved the info off for when the cats find the cable again. 7.gif ARGGGHHH! Would I need some sort of crimping tool to attach the jacks?

Oh, Doug, how did you survive your forum expulsion with all of your posts intact.11.gif

"Would I need some sort of crimping tool to attach the jacks? " I believe there are both screw-on and crimp-on styles of RCA connectors. I chose the crimp-on, myself, and borrowed a crimping tool from my Dad. I had a bunch of coax cabling to do so I invested $10 at HD for a coax stripping tool - the only way to fly.

LIMM re the "expulsion." The amazing restorative powers or Rogain - puts the posts right back where they fell out!!! Of course, there was no expulsion but I mistakenly gave that impression to someone when I sent them a comment off-line. Thanks for caring 1.gif

• Moderators

I have the same speakers but a diy sub,for the same reasons, i think they sound very good you will be happy . I use yamaha rx-v730 sounds good to me with synergy.1.gif

• Like 1