Dark Side of the Moon SACD Analysis

That's a good one Ray.The industry cracks me up.

From the Stereophile magazine article: Both two-channel mixes of DSotM were claimed by EMI to have been transferred straight from the original analog master tape. It came as a surprise to both Jon and me, therefore, to hear relatively large differences between the SACD and CD versions, not the least of which was that the latter was louder.

So, when it came to the new DSotM re-release, they simply applied the standard sub-standard treatment.

No! That just cant be!?! Do they mean a recording company of EMIs stature could of released false information concerning the content of one of their recordings? Im in shock. I guess that means we best see through the CRACKS in the pressing of future recordings they market, huh?2.gif He he he he he

I have an SACD question for you. I put on a cd of Yo Yo Ma Solo this afternoon (after taking a break from trying to retrieve my chainsaw from a tree) and noticed it is an SACD. I had never noticed it before (the wife picked up the cd). It plays in our 12 year old JVC cheap cd player. All 64 minutes of it. I didn't think they would play in standard cd players.

Marvel

----------------

On 5/20/2003 4:52:08 PM Marvel wrote:

I have an SACD question for you. I put on a cd of Yo Yo Ma Solo this afternoon (after taking a break from trying to retrieve my chainsaw from a tree) and noticed it is an SACD. I had never noticed it before (the wife picked up the cd). It plays in our 12 year old JVC cheap cd player. All 64 minutes of it. I didn't think they would play in standard cd players.

Marvel

----------------

Obviously, it works because the chainsaw is stuck in the tree. Ray will explain the physics. Ray?.....

fini

Marvel,

SACDs *MAY* be formatted as "dual layer" discs. There are actually two completely different sets of pits and lands within the polycarbonate, at two different distances from the surface. The "CD Compatible" layer is, uh, lower (?) than the SACD layer, and the SACD layer is semi transparent to the CD laser frequency. If you plop the disc in a CD player, for all practical purposes the SACD layer is invisible to the pickup laser. It just "sees" the redbook standard CD formatted data tracks. If you put the disc in an SACD player, the laser can see both tracks, and will default to the SACD layer.

SACD discs may or may not support this dual layer format. The original SONY releases did not, and were all "single layer" discs. Most other brands and most newer discs are dual layer.

Ray Garrison

words three cents per yard except on Thursdays when the lead guitarist is sick.

I thought it might be the dual layer thing, like DVDs have. This is a Sony disc, circa 1999. I was just delighted to know I had one. Does this mean I have an excuse to get an SACD player?

Marvel

the bar and chain are still in the tree. a project for tommorrow.