A Modest Proposal (not Swift's!) for Leok

Leo:

I read the recent VTV posts regarding the RF-7 review with interest! Have you not had the opportunity to compare your RF-7s to something in the Heritage line -- were they La Scalas? I can't remember now. This may not have been a side-by-side comparison, but I remember you once posting about your chance to have listened to the La Scalas or K-horns.

In light of the VTV review, would you comment briefly on that as time allows? I am very interested in your experiences and impressions. Had you tried the Heritage speakers with your Moondogs?

Erik

I treat the RF-7 as a big nearfield monitor. With them in the corners of the room, they have a very powerful, full-range sound. I have heard Chris' KHorns using my amp. I found the KHorns to be more dynamic. Instrumens "felt" like they were in the room. The RF-7s don't have that powerful impact.

But the RF-7s have an exceptionally clean high end, I believe, because the design is 2-way and there is no crossover above 2.2KHz. I find that harmonic detail, ambience, and imaging are better with the RF-7s. The clean high end can be optimized by using an amp designed to deliver low hf distortion. All my amps are optimized in that way.

I do suspect that with a few more watts I might better enjoy large, complex orchestral works. I think Dean is on to something there. It's been a while since I tried the pp or the P6D on the RF-7s, maybe I should give it a try to see if I can get some of the power or "punch" I remember from Chris' KHorns.

RF-7s are a 2 way design with bass-reflex low end. I would prefer a horn-loaded bass (Jubilee), but can't fit it in my house. I have never prefered the sound of any 3-way .. Klipsch or other. I like them, but don't prefer them. I prefer the detail I get from the 2-way approach.

leok

Dean,

I know I just couldn't resist really folks I'm just joking around. This place needs a little less seriousness. I'm sure if the review went another way Dean would have some interesting comments but I would " Still love him like a brother" LOL !!!!

Craig