Updating Cornwall crossover network

I researched all of the past articles in the forum on this, and I've decided to order two inductors for the woofer circuit of my cornwalls. I know to get the 2.5 inductors but my question is, does the resistance matter? There are several air core inductors at Parts Express that have that rating, but they're all different resistors. Does it matter what I pick or will the slightly higher resistance affect the sound? TIA.1.gif

When I asked ALK for his advice, he recommended going with the thickest wire you could afford, 12 gauge. Since it is used for the woofer, you can use solid wire inductors, Solen make them. You do not need to use the Litz wire, it is not necessary in this case.

Solen 12 awg, 2.4 mHy, $36.90, 14 awg. $23.40 at http://www.partsConneXion.com/catalog/inductors.html

As you can see there is a $13.50 US difference between the 2 gauges x 2 for both inductors.

The Solen inductors are great. No doubt about it. But, if you can afford it, I would definately

go lower than 12 or 14 gauge. Go 8 guage if you can. it definately makes a difference. The

2.5mh 8 gauge inductors can be purchased from www.northcreekmusic.com for, last time I

checked, "approximately" $121.00 each. And yes, they do sound wonderful!!! OR, you could

make your own!!! Here is the calculating link....

www.lalena.com/audio/calculator/inductor/

You'll definately want to use magnet wire when winding your own. This is the same type of

wire they use to wind electric motors. When winding, wrap it as tight as you can around

anothor cylinder. From the factory cylinder to your cylinder that is. After the coil has been

wound, wire tie it together or use a hot glue gun. But, before you permanently secure it, check

it with a meter. If need be, add or remove turns in order to reach 2.5mh. Be sure to remove

the cylinder that you wrapped the wire around. If you don't, this may case problems as far

as the inductance is concerned. Once the coil has been wound and secured with wire ties, dip

it in Glyptol. Which is a wire varnish. This will stabilize your new coil.

Anyway, the wire is cheap. And, it's not that difficult to do. Toss in a few Hovland music

caps and you'll have one set of KILLER crossovers!!!!

P.S I almost forgot, not only will you need the correct mh, which, for a Cornawll is 2.5, but, you will

also need the coil diameter in order to calculate the appropriate length of wire

to wind. If I'm not mistaken, it's around 283 feet. But, I'm not exactly sure. I can't remember.

If you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll give you the exact diameter of my 8 guage coils. From

there it will be a piece of cake!!

Just be aware that by changing the resistance of the inductor, you are changing the volume of the woofer relative to the squawker and tweeter. If you want to keep the same frequency response you started with, keep the resistance the same as the stock inductor. You may or may not hear the difference, though.