Thoughts on center channel frequency range

wireless

Would anyone care to share their thoughts on the lower end of the center channel frequency range? I'm getting ready to replace my current HT Legend based system with some smaller Klipsch speakers specifically either the Rx-25 or Rx-35 series.

There's one hangup though with the center speaker frequency range comparison between the rc-25 and rc-35. The rc-35 goes down to 56 Hz while the RC-25 only goes down to 69 Hz. (There's not a lot of difference in the surrounds and fronts.)

For the center I need a small speaker. Almost all TV stands only have 9" between the lower shelves. The RC-25 fits the bill coming in at 9" exactly. No doubt this is not a coincidence.

I'm left wondering how much this smaller size affects the sound in practice. How much DVD information is transmitted on the center at less than 69 Hz? Doing some research on the net indicates that the human voice does not go down that low. I wonder if they included James Earl Jones. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not planning on using this system for music much; I have 2-channel vintage system set up for that.

I think you are OK at the 69hz range. My experience - while voice dialog does not reach the low freqs, quite a bit of action sequences (this is not just applicable to action movies, but also to emphasis in any well sound engineered movie - the door shutting, etc.) do go lower than the human voice and need to be localized for effects to work. However, somewhere around 80hz we begin to have a hard time telling where the LF is coming from and we use visuals to tell our mind where the sound originates.

That said - a good subwoofer and a setting in bass management for all LF to go to sub around 80hz would be a good match for the centers you mentioned - expecially if the speaker can 'easily' cover to 69hz with little loss in db. Since the management of the energy used to drive speakers is only reasonably able to be effective in a range (that is to say the circuits cause dramatic reductions in db - not a specific cutoff point) then a speaker's ability to effortlessly produce sound in a 10 - 20 db range around the management point makes for all intents a seamless transition between speakers (same holds true for Xover inside speaker boxes). You would want the center set to small so it does not compete with the sub.

Others can get into the scientific details and I apologize for any foray into electronics that is wrong - but I do think you will be OK on the LF.