tube amp coming my way!

tpg

Yes! Finally... well, I got my driver in today for my sub (Adire DPL12) and hooked it up to the amp I was going to use... I cringe at the thought of the horrible sound. Something is wrong with that amp- it doesn't like when the bass hits and it causes a pfft sound. This pfft occurs on two woofers I have- I just thought the other woofer was bad until I got this new one. So, I now have no amp... and I called my local music shop and they say the only power amp they have is that stereo tube amp I mentioned before- 60WPC 6L6's. So, I am picking it up tomorrow. OF COURSE, before it touched the DPL12, it shall be hooked to my KG-2.5's (after DC testing and power up test). So, if it sounds good for music, I will be fast to replace it with a more power solid state amp so I can move it to a nice 2-channel system. (temporary of course... I am just dying to spend the summer building a 2A3 amp) We shall see... err hear. 1.gif

HELP!

having difficulties... ok, the amp is a Peavey Classic 60/60 Stereo power amp. My speaker (subwoofer) is a DPL12- dual 8-ohm voice coils. I got the amp today and hooked it up, and guess what? I got the EXACT same PTTT sound when the bass hit hard. Is this some sort of soft clipping? It sounds like crap. Ok, so I think maybe this amp is just sucky too, but I hook it up to one of my KG-2.5's and it sounds decent. I cannot really say it is much better than my solid-state receiver... sadly. It sounds different, but I don't really know if I like it- kinda has a I AM CLIPPING sound to it...

But, I get next to NO volume from this thing with the volumes of both channels MAXED. Nothing... Not audible at all over my other speakers. Yes, the speaker moves a tad, quite a bit for the tiny amount of wattage it is getting. (4VRMS) I just don't get it... 60 watts per coil should drive this thing to LOUD levels, but it cannot even be heard. Why? So, I preamped it. OMG scary sound. I don't know what was going on but it sounded like CRAP. Worse than crap. What can I do? 15.gif8.gif

----------------

On 5/28/2003 6:58:46 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

Yes! Finally... well, I got my driver in today for my sub (Adire DPL12) and hooked it up to the amp I was going to use...

----------------

I hate to ask, but is the driver in a box yet? It sounds like the driver is still bare.

If so, there will not be any sound, past that of a cheap transister radio.

Really? The box makes that much difference? Well, the driver is bare... for testing... 14.gif I guess now I should feel stupid... BUt I have tested woofers before open air and they did ok... well, I will box it this weekend... until then, some tube listening through my KG-2.5's. Thoughts:

It soudns ok... bass is bottomless, you might say. Sound is fairly smooth... to be honest, not a LOT different from my receiver. Maybe I'll A/B them both later. Bass is trmendous... I didn't even know my KG's could do that. On rock, they can clearly be heard downstairs, louder than my entire system on my 5.1 receiver on 5-channel stereo, at 75/100 volume. Strange. And the woofers barely move, maybe 3mm MAX. It is kinda pretty... I like it because it is tube. lol But, I really don't know whether what I am hearing is tube characteristic or not... I will give it a while to 'burn in' (to my ears that is) and might chance the tubes if I get brave enough to open that darned metal enclosure. This this is built like a tank, and weighs about as much too.

EDIT: Even if I don't have it in a box, though, why would it make that PTT sound when the bass hits?

Thanks. 1.gif I will try to build a decent preamp to get the signal up there if it will help. Do you ever use them to listen to music? What do you think of the sound? I mean... I like the sound a lot, just that midrange distortion gets a little much at times...

"Really? The box makes that much difference? Well, the driver is bare... for testing... 14.gif"

Yes the cabinet makes a huge difference in the sound. It is also important that the interior volume of the box and the port size (assuming the design uses a port - not all do) be correct.

The manufacturer of that driver will be able to provide specs for an appropriate enclosure.

PS what did you have to pony up for the Peavey ?

Well, on a speaker related side-note... my box is 5.35cu.ft, tuned to 16Hz for home theatre, or with port sealed for music (F3 about 30 of so Hz then). It should work well... I think. 1.gif Models up nicely in WinISD.

The Peavey is marked at $125, but right now, it is on loan to me. My dad does a LOT of business with these people, so they didn't hesitate to let me borrow it for a few days to listen. Do you think that is a good price? Oddly enough... the sounds seems to have cleared up significantly... it now sounds very good... think I will be keeping this one. 9.gif It can satisfy my tube craving for a while, and give me enormous power to boot.

EDIT: Guess $125 is a good price based upon what it sells for new, and what others paid... 1.gif

----------------

On 5/29/2003 5:36:21 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

Really? The box makes that much difference?

EDIT: Even if I don't have it in a box, though, why would it make that PTT sound when the bass hits?

----------------

Just for fun, try this. I did this to a friend just to show him the same thing. Find a cardboard box, tape it shut, cut a hole in the top that will fit the woofer. Connect it up & play some music as you slowly lower the driver into the box. Trust me, you will be amazed. It's a quick but cool experiment.

When you are done with this, get a proper box made, & the difference again will be almost as amazing.

The PTT sound that you are hearing is probably the air rushing from the front of the cone to the back as it moves in-&-out. This is why the box makes the difference. The sound now has to travel into the room instead of around the cage.

Well, that makes pefect sense... thanks. 1.gif

I think I will be keeping this amp as well... for sub duty for a while, then will move to hi-fi. Actually, will run it for both. It sounds pretty nice.... I think. My poor quality ables are hurting the sound.