older Sony reciever-quality?

ben.

I've got an H/K 430 Twin coming (check is in the mail, BH), but I've also got an old Sony AVR-VX5 available to me cheap. I'm commited to the H/K, and expect to be happy with it as a backup or secondary system. However, does anybody have any opinions on the Sony? It looks like a better quality product, as it has seperate Phono ins for MM and MC cartridges. I seem to recall seeing positive opinions about this series while filtering through old search results, comments on HQ SS, and tubey sound. Other than "plug it in and listen"(which I will do), does any body have any input?

BTW- It has a digital tuner, and says "Pulse Power Supply" and "Legato Linear" on the front. There's also a matching tape deck (TC-FX77)

I have not heard your Sony and don't know if it's similar to the one I have, but I can say this: I have the Sony TA-AX380 integrated amp and loaned it to my son while he was waiting for his HK 630 to show up. He was going to bring the HK over for us to listen, but it did not work out. At any rate, he did say he liked the HK more, however he did complain that he needs to turn up the treble on the HK, which produces a bit of hiss. I use the Sony on my computer speakers or as a back up.

I believe i've seen those pieces before.

If i'm not mistaken, the amp is silver with a fairly slim profile.

It's almost a perfect square being deep as it is wide and weighs in at about 25lbs.

Does that sound like the dude?

If so, i'm under the impression that was one of their earlier top shelf models that came as a rack system with a pair of funky Sony loudspeakers.

(you know..the ones with the square drivers)

The set up I messed with was very well built and smartly assembled.

It had a fairly straight forward topography, utilizing stepped switches and ALPs pots.

It also had decent ELNA caps and better looking iron, than most.

I can't remeber what type of output devices it used, though.

Metal film epoxy, I think.

In any event, I was impressed with its performance and layout.

Not too shabby.

Probably worth the time, if the price is right. IMO.

Regards,

John.

FWIW -the speakers sounded unexpectedly good as well-

All three drivers are perfectly square.

It was kind of a trip to look at.

----------------

On 5/30/2003 12:19:13 AM Audioreality wrote:

I believe i've seen those pieces before.

If i'm not mistaken, the amp is silver with a fairly slim profile.

It's almost a perfect square being deep as it is wide and weighs in at about 25lbs.

Does that sound like the dude?

----------------

I don't think that's it. The dimensions are 17" x 13". It is silver, though. Thanks to you both for the replies!