H/K A230 ?

tpg

What are your more knowledgeable opinions on the H/K A230? Good? Have a nice tube sound? I am in search of a good first tube amp that will have some power and that nice tube sound. How will this perform with KG-2.5's? Provide enough bass? The 6L6 amp puts out thunderous bass... will this match it? Any specs on it that anyone knows?

So, in all, a fairly decent tube sound, making it pretty good for a cheap first tube amp? I have only heard the 6L6 Peavey... which had lots of nice bass, but midrange distortion... so I have nothing to compare to.

I emailed the seller and he said he powered it briefly and both channels pass sound. Wouldn't comment on quality, said it was a 'fixer.' There is another A230 on eBay also for a little more money, and a white frosted tube... probably going bad. The first one is missing a rectifier and a few knobs.

Other options: Heathkit AA-23... any good? Better?

H/K A500

H/K A224

H/K A30K

or 2x Altec 339D monoblocks

Any of those significantly better than buying the A230 in disrepair? Heathkit appeals to me for some reason... I have seen a lot about them. The H/K's are nice looking... not as plasticy as the HeathKit. Which is best?

i have a tube amp that craig would gladly sell to your for a great price. It is a Knight, very nice for the price. Sounds wonderful on my Heresys. Contact him and see if he is still willing to part with it. I would keep it but right now I am about to move to college and can't even bring my speakers for some time.

let me and craig know. i can ship it out to you, just send him money via paypal or something. you would have to work that out with him, hope i am not stepping out of boundry by offering this to you... craig, let me know 1.gif

sure will sell it $ 125 done deal and it works perfect as far as I know justin has been using it for 2 months I believe. Its in perfect cosmetic shape also. All good tubes the works the outputs are NOS RCA 6BMB's the same as the Wave 8's use.

Craig

I wouldn't want to buy it if you are using it/planning to buy it, Justin... Just out of curiosity, what does it look like? Is it an integrated amp? About how much power output? What tubes? Thanks

EDIT: I am just asking... I priotitized and realized I need a sub amp FIRST... no matter how much I hate that....

Craig would better be able to answer these questions. I have the copy of the manual for it somewhere.

It is silver with a brushed aluminum front (looks like it at least). The Tubes are held up at an angle.

I will take pictures tonight. My internet is offline so I have to use this really crappy dial-up internet. I really hate Time Warner!