Klipsch Reference Woofer for sale at local shop?

Hello

A local audio/electronics parts center http://www.addison-electronique.com stocks a Klipsch 10" woofer that looks like it is from the Reference line. It has a copper coloured cone and black dustcap just like the real thing. I asked to take a look and the only marking on it was 511TM. No marking on the box either.

Can this be for real? Does anyone know if this part number is real or if there are fake replacement drivers out there. Why would Klipsch sell surplus parts thru a large volume low price parts depot?

I am considering a pair for a custom center speaker using Heresy mid and tweeter.

Edmond

Montreal

A moderator answered a similar question some time back. IIRC the jist of the response was that Klipsch does not sell components to surplus dealers. IMHO the speakers you are considering are at best unauthorized releases from the manufacturer, more likely speakers Klipsch rejected and returned to the manufacturer, and at worst knockoffs. In other words, you pays your money and takes your chances. Who knows? You might get lucky.

FWIW real Klipsch speakers at least have the word Klipsch and a Klipsch part number on them. But, so could fakes.

Addison has had Klipsch woofers in the past... as I remember about 10 years ago I had seen them selling a Klipsch 15" from either from the heritage series or the pro series as it had the folded cloth surround and the Klipsch logo on the back. The basket was black and the text was white, but I don't know what the model number was as i couldn't afford it at the time (student back then) 12.gif ... Like mentionned, it may have come directly from the manufacturer ...

Scooterdog just built a custom center using two RF series woofers, a K77 tweeter and K52 midrange ... Custom Center Completed! ... this required designing and building a custom x-over as the woofer specs are quite different.

later...

Rob

----------------

On 6/1/2003 8:19:51 PM efzauner wrote:

I am considering a pair for a custom center speaker using Heresy mid and tweeter. Edmond

----------------

Why don't you just order the parts you need from Klipsch parts department? I bought a set of La Scalas about a month ago to find that one of the woofers was bad. I replaced both woofers with brand new K33s that I bought directly from Klipsch.

Didn't cost much and I have peace of mind knowing that I have matched woofers that were designed for my cabinets.

Regards,

Tony