Question about cartridges

robforst1

From what I've read $600+ cartridge can provide improved performance but only on a quality turntable. When shopping a local dealer for Rega TT's the dealer felt the P3 could only support up to the $300 Rega cart where the P25 was a good fit for the Rega $600 cart or the $300 cart.

I also got the following comments from Tom Port of Betterrecords.com:

"Scout or VPI Jr (more upgradeable) + Benz cartridge (the most neutral moving coils I've heard; I have a Ruby 2 and love it, but I have an Ace in my second table and it sounds quite good. If you listen to mostly classical music you will need a top table and cartridge, IMO, rock and jazz not so much a problem."

The most obvious choice of "next tier up" cartridge would probably be the Blue Point Special, that is, if you like the sound you have out of the Blue Point.

One word of warning on the BPS though. I have found it to be a somewhat precarious cartridge with all its elements exposed and definitely not one for the ham fisted.

I am currently on my second BPS as I managed to damage the first. For what it is worth I regard this as one of the best cartridges for Rock that I have ever heard although, IMHO it can be bettered on classical music. Cant comment on Jazz as I dont listen to Jazz all that much.

I have tt rig similar in price point to yours. I've been thinking about upgrading and have asked around regarding which path to take. The consensus seems to be keep the cartridge for awhile longer and upgrade table components first. Clearaudio has a fairly well designed upgrade path available. I'm not familiar with Nottingham, but I'd guess they would also.

Good Luck,

Chris