Need some advice on Super PAS4i problems...

Mallette

Well, my Super PAS4i has joined my ST-70 in waiting for repair. I am now using a Crown DC-150a, which actually is quite good, with the Citation 12, which is better than I recall. Thank goodness!

Anyway, this is a weirdy. If I rotate the Balance control to the right, it does as expected. To the left, it does so until about 11:00, then the right channel starts to come up again. All the way left, and they are about equal.

Seems to sound OK centered, but I can't get over the feeling something isn't right here.

One other unrelated thing that has bothered me is the rocker switches. They got momentary and scratchy within a month or two after getting it. I cleaned thoroughly severals and they'd be fine, but get dirty again within weeks.

I finally replaced them...and they got dirty again within a few weeks. Very frustrating. The environment is not nasty, and I just can't figure this out.

Dave

Correct. It requires a heavy spray and at least a 100 operations to clean. Then it gets dirty again quickly. At worst, it can hardly be made to make contact at all.

I've not tried cleaning the Balance control, as I've never heard dirt do anything except make for scratchy noise or lost contact.

Dave

Hi Dave!

I've got the same preamp, although I'm not using it now for the same reason: Controls are just plain worn out. Cleaning with contact cleaner and lube helps for a little while, but these old carbon comp. controls just get to the point where they need to be replaced -- when cleaning doesn't help any more. Those rocker switches should be less of a problem, but you just have to gain access to where the contacts are.

The other controls are not so easy to replace these days! You could actually bypass the balance control. You could instead use to mono volume controls -- one where the balance pot used to be; the other in the former stereo volume control location. The problem/s with mine is/are the tone controls -- I clean them; they sound good for an hour; and then get very scratchy and even intermittent again. These are good little preamps though, and the only way to maybe solve the problem is to find one with controls that are still in good shape -- and use it for parts to make one good preamp.

I got a new front end for my system, Dave! A KLH DVD player I found at Best Buy for $42.00. It doesn't sound too bad, either...doesn't mis-track like that old Denon we had for so long.

So your Dynaco amp still doesn't work!? Sorry about that! Maybe I can get up to Dallas one of these weeks. School is out for the Summer, so I've got some time where I could do that. I haven't forgotten your hospitality, and am interested in your audio server developments!

Erik

Thanks. I'll try it.

So, what ever happened to your visit up this way anyway? Get sidetracked?

I've been looking forward to it. If you get a date in mind, maybe we can have a DFW hornhead meet.

Look for my "Live Recording at Resolutions You Shouldn't Try at Home..." thread coming soon to a 2 Channel forum near you.

Dave

Mallet try a 3 brigrade approach. First use WD-40 in liberal ammounts in other words drown the controls with it and work them in let it soak in and work them again. Then buy your average bargin auto contavt cleaner without any proservative and drowned them with that to flush out all the WD40 working the controls the entire time finally use Caig Deoxit or Radio Shack tuner cleaner for the final cleaning and lubrication presevative.

If that doesn't work there shot to hell !!

Like they say "If duct tape won't fix it its broke" LOL !!!!!!!

Craig

Dave:

I'm not using my PAS4 for anything right now. It's sitting in a closet (probably gathering still more dust). It works well, but just has those tone control 'scratchies.' I bought it for almost nothing....if you want it to help fix yours, email me your address and I'll send it to you. I'd rather it be used for something than just sit around. My wife would be overjoyed at the thought of having one less electronic carcass in the house!

Frankenstien came to life in a similar sort of way (encouraged awake and ALIVE! with blasts of electricity), so maybe the same idea of scavanged parts will for your PAS preamp! :)

Really, I'm not using it for anything -- if ya want it, it's yours,

Erik

Thanks to all...I'll try the multiple approach, Craig.

Also, thanks to Erik for the PAS. However, don't go to the trouble to mail it, just bring it when you come!

The issue is definitely not wear, as the unit is only a year old and not a rebuild.

Anyway, I am consumed with 24/192X4 recording at the moment and won't return to this problem for a few weeks. I just went ahead and posted it whilst waiting for re-boots during test and debugging, which has been pretty grueling.

If there is any other input, it will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Dave