Heresies + Paramours OR + Paraglows-- worth the extra $?

I own a pair of Heresy I's and am interested in pairing a good set of amps with them.

What about Bottlehead Parmours or Paraglows? Anyone compared the two with the Heresy I's? Would you consider either amp? Would it be worth the extra investment in the Paraglows?

Thanks.1.gif

• 1 month later...

Cool!

That will be a fun project with great end results!

Regards,

Dee

p.s. I don't know what I'm up to in terms of building competence, but have been wondering about Paraglows or Welborne Labs, in kit form or factory wired.

I also pondered for a while, considering both 2A3's from Bottlehead and Welborne. I read a lot of positive comments on both.

I came to my decision after finding a lot of support available from the Bottlehead forum. Then I found a thread on the Welborne forum that seemed to indicate first-timers might have a better experience with Bottlehead products.

btw: check the Welborne site. I just did and found this.

"Final Sale. As the old saying goes "out with the old and in with the new". After a long run with both the Laurel 300B and Moondog 2A3 amplifiers it's time to move on with new and fresher products. With that said, we have begun a limited quantity final production run of chassis for these two products. Once these chassis are gone the Laurel 300B and Moondog 2A3 products will be history. So if you've been considering either of these amplifiers, now is the time to buy as they will surely be gone before the end of this year."

Glimmertwin,

I don't believe Welborne offers the Moondogs anymore. He has one last pair built by him for $7500.00, ouch!

I built the Foreplay & Paramours, it was educational and fun. The Foreplay to my ears is at its best with all the upgrades, for a few extra bucks, its worth a go to install them into your project once you've heard it stock.

Tom

Hi guys

I have a Decware se84cs, Bottlehead Paramours and Welborne Moondogs. Here's how I think they match up.

The Decware ($700.00 factory built) has a sweet sounding midrange and is a very refined stereo amp. It's built like a tank and is extremely quiet. However I rate its bass out-put as not more than polite. Still I love it. I run it directly from my CD player (no preamp).

The Paramoures with the 2a3 out-put tube has very good midrange and bass. They are the least expensive ($550.00 as a kit) and has fabulous support on the Bottlehead fourm. I've been to many audio meetings that are predominately Bottlehead fan supported. Great guys who are glad to help you get the best sound from these mono block amps. A preamp is required. Mine are a tad noisy but this is a result of less than carful assembly techniques. As such carfull resoldering the joints can correct this.

The Welborne Moondogs (I bought mine used for aprox $1600.00) are to my ears the best. They retailed for aprox 1600-2400 depending on the quality of the parts supplied. These mono blocks kits also use the 2a3 out-put tube which is known for its smooth sweet sound and surprising bass performance. They are very quiet with dynamics and tonal quality that is just great. A preamp is required here too. Yes they are sadly discontinued or more corectly replaced by an other product. Welborne also made and discontinued a 300b tube amp with more power similar to the Paraglows. All are sometimes seen used on Audiogon.com .

The Decware and the Moondods use "tube" rectification while the Bottleheads are "solid state" rectified. Some will argue that the tube rectification is better. Please remember these amps cost more than the Bottleheads.

Decware guarantees there amp for life. Bottlehead may pack the best SET value per dollar. Welborne is the classier of the three. With the latter two the skill given to the assembly of the kits is very very important.

RB