Surround mounting?

bozzchem

It's been awhile since I've posted here. However, I feel this is the best place to get the answers I need. Please bear with me if they have already been answered in a previous post. I couldn't find what I was looking for.

OK, on to the questions.

Here is a quick breakdown of my system:

Fronts: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC3II

Surrounds: Klipsch RS3II

Sub: Klipsch KSW-15

A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-3802

My question is concerning placement of the surrounds. I have set up my living room such that my loveseat is the "home theater" seat. The loveseat is situated directly in front of my 56" TV (10 ft. away) while my couch is situated against the left wall. Obviously, the couch isn't exactly the best spot in the room for true HT sound.

I haven't mounted the RS speakers yet. Would I be better off mounting them to the rear wall behind the loveseat or to the side walls?

There is approximately 3 feet of space behind the loveseat to the rear wall. Based on the listening position of the loveseat, there is approximately 4 ft. on either side of it for side wall mounting.

I would prefer to mount to the rear wall but I would much more prefer to mount to the best location for true HT sound regardless of mounting location.

Any strategies you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

I'm also thinking of getting another set of RS surrounds and mounting to both the rear and the side. I still have two channels left on the Denon that are unused at this point.

Let's say I mount the RS on the side walls. That still leaves me with what Denon calls the "back surrounds". I'd love to go with another set of the RS speakers but would also like to minimize cost. Would the cheaper Klipsch surround speakers provide me with adequate sound reproduction? I insist on my entire speaker system remaining Klipsch. I'd just like to save a penny or two.

For now, I'd just like to get what I have mounted properly for a seamless HT sound.

Suggestions/comments?

Thanks all.

Well frist of all I would say mount them on the side walls. Later when you get the other surround speaker you dont have to reposition the rest of the speakers. Now to your second part of the question I think that you sould get a matching set of rear souround speakers , because later you might want to upgrade to 7.1 and that way you will have 4 of the same rear speakers. Will I hope that I could be some help.

James

OK, let's say I go with the side wall mounting. How high from the listening position would be recommended? 2ft., 3ft., ceiling height? What about rear wall mounting?

I'm looking for a total solution here, if possible. I can mount the speakers any way I choose. I guess I'm looking for dimensions for mounting. i.e., directly to the left/right of the listening position, while being mounted up 3 ft. OR directly mounted at ear level, etc.

I know that experimentation is the best bet, but I'd rather plan on a mounting point and just do it.

What about using the Klipsch KSF-F5 surrounds for the "rear surrounds"? All they're doing is providing back fill. Is it really necessary to maintain the same surround speaker quality? Based upon the dimensions I previously listed for my room, if I mount the RS3s on the side walls, they would be about 4 - 6 feet away from the "back surrounds".

I can get the KSF surrounds at a very resonable cost. Would I lose fidelity with the system by doing so? What about the RS-25 set as a "rear surround" set?

Thanks Fish.

One thing I forgot to mention is that there is a door cutout on the left sidewall. The only way I could do a sidewall mounting with both speakers being equidistant would be to place the speakers at just below ceiling height. This would equate to a mounting height at about 7 feet.

Sorry I forgot to mention that. Someimes it takes responses to jog the memory. I could mount the speakers on the side wall slightly in front of the "sweet spot" and then have the full capability to mount the "rear surrounds" anywhere I want on the rear walls.

Sorry again for forgetting to mention that.

I think if you can keep them close to the sweet spot you'll be ok,but even or slightly rear is optimal.A good thing about the rs3/7's is they are designed to compensate for minor placement issues.