Unleash the power of RF-3 and RC-3

USparc

changed a little? you changed it a ton. you completely sealed off the horn section, which is a good 8 inches off the height. than add in the bracing, and foam and you have a completely different speaker. to me, I don't see how this could even sound like an RF-3 anymore. maybe better than an RF-3, TO YOUR EARS, but not the same as one. the changes you made would have a huge effect on the overall speaker tone.

prodj101,

Yes, off course there is a lot changed. The soundreproduction of my RF-3 is indeed changed. ( I never said they where still the same) .That was also my intention. Removing the colouration of the cabinet resulting in tighter bass and detailed highs. Hey the case dimension and the drivers are still the same. There is still somewhat left of the RF-3, but you are right. In my place and with my ears they do sound a lot better and can not be compared with my other (rear) original RF-3s.

Besides, klipsch has improved the original RF-3 to an RF-5 with the same woofers. Wel I can do the same. Klipsch doesnt have my room and my ears. It is al trial and error. I will once measure the room response as soon as I have my SPL meter.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I did some measurements with the Radios Shack SPL meter.

The RF-3 reloaded -3db point is 28Hz (in my room) where as the original RF-3 has a -3db point at about 33Hz. The response off the RF-3 reloaded is smoother. I noticed that the panel vibration can do a lot of harm bringing unwanted sound in to the picture altering the frequency response. If it is not only the room that alters the sound but also the speaker then what is left of the original sound reproduction!!!

I have to do my rears very soon because I noticed some coloration when playing the sacd Gloria Estefan Rhythm is gonna get you.

The rears are now with sacd multichannel as important as the fronts!!

Someone in the mean time did this tweak and also marvelled at the result???

Tweak on .

From my recollection of acustics in electronics school many years ago, the volume reduction of the foam is the total volume of the solids only. The air in the foam does not decrease the total volume of air in the box. Back in the day we stuffed our boxes with fiberglass to dampen resonance. The braces totaled together might be 500cc's. Combined the resultant volume loss seems neglegent. The added rigidity of the newly tuned cabinets seems lessen the losses at the low frequencies. This would be more obvious during large excursion transients as the cabinets would remain more stable. Good job I would say.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 7/31/2003 4:33:42 AM marksdad wrote:

unleash, he he he he ha ha ha ha, this caption still makes me giggle
12.gif

----------------

I think it is very obvious now that it makes you giggle.

But is that all you have to say??? 11.gif