need help with upgrading my 4.1

cutejai

hi people.

i've got a 4.1 at home for about 2 years. and now would love to upgrade it to the next level. but not sure what would i need to get the most out of it. just adding another 2.1 set? or you guys got any better idea? i saw on other's people setup with another sws. so what would you benefit from that? and how to set it up?

or should i just sell this 4.1 to a friend then get a 5.1 instead?

so would love to know the best upgrade for it.

thanx in advance for any input.

Whatever you do do not get a GMX as it will only be a down grade to the sound quality you have now.

Getting a ProMedia 2.1 added onto your current 4.1 and a 7.1 sound card, as well as updating your speaker wire to something like on my site or the monster cables really is the best way to go.

hi,

not so sure why would i need the monster cable for? just to extend the cable right? any other benefit?

so if i have a choice.

1. getting another 2.1 set and monster cable.

or

2. getting that PM SWS and monster cable.

which one would you recommend? or just be better getting both? =)

I would recommend that you get the ProMedia 2.1 and a new sound card. This will allow you to have 7.1 audio. A 4.1 and 2.1 sub combination is wonderful.

Updraging your speaker cable helps improve sound quality, though some don't notice and some make their own to save money.

thanx guys.

i've got the link in regard to how to make the cable. =)

and btw. how do you combine a 2.1 and 4.1 to become a 7.1? isn't that only 6.2? and how do you set it up?

2 sub combine together.

2 sat combine to make a center sat.

and 2 front sat + 2 rear sat?

• 2 weeks later...

how do you combine a 2.1 and 4.1 to become a 7.1? isn't that only 6.2?

LOL I was going to say the same thing! BTW, get a better sub than an SWS if you can afford it. I hear those inifnity entra 2 subs are awesome and they're only 100 bucks more at CC.

umm,,,,,so you saying any sub would do the job? coz i'm worried that, some sub might not be compatible with this 4.1 set and dunno where to plug it in. so i dun really know much about sound. =) would you elaborate it more on how to set it up? if i'm about to get a better home theather sub to add in.

and btw. here is a new idea.

coz i just got a logitech z560 from my friend. 9.gif

and now, i'm thinking of how to hook it up. so any of you got that combination before? and what you reckon? will they work fine together? or just making the situation become worse?

p.s my sound card is hercules game theather xp 5.1

I'm guessing the PM SWS will way outperform your Z-560 sub. I've heard it at Best Buy and it's very boomy and unbalanced compared to any promedia sub. If you've got the $$$, go for it. If you've got even MORE money, ditch the 560 and get a PM4.1 or PM5.1.

Do they still have that deal on the GMX? If so, buy a GMX for $300, get a free SWS, sell the GMX for $200, and you just got yourself a $100 SWS. Not a bad deal. Or, you can buy the PM 5.1 sub on ebay for like $20-$30 with no amp, nice DIY project.