Thorens TD 145 on the way

whell

Have been shopping for a TT to replace the Dual 504 that I've been using. Its been an OK TT, but my vinyl collection is starting to grow, as is my rekindled interest in vinyl. So, I took the plunge today and picked up a TD-145 on Ebay that appears to be in great shape. If I can believe the seller, it has also seen little use in its history.

I selected this TT as a target for my TT shop-a-thon for alot of reasons, such as:

- it fit my very limited budget

- it has established an held a good reputation and a loyal following

- it still seems to have an adequate availability of parts

- value for the dollar puts it in a league with modern TT's costing considerably more

- no shortage of info on the net (including this forum) on how to wring the last ounce of performance out of it

So, I'm looking for it to arrive next week. It will be married to my Marantz MM 7000 integrated and my KG-4's.

I'll keep you posted.

I hope mine looks as nice as yours. Also, I wish mine came with the same cartridge as yours. The Shure V15 is supposed to be the best tracking cartridge around. The AKG on mine seems to get nice reviews but the company no longer makes carts and the suspension mechanism may be very old. I'll definitely let you know how mine works out and look forward to hearing about yours.

Good Luck,

Chris

It arrived today and I had a chance to play with it a bit tonite.

First the bad news: the TT arrived with a 2 1/2 inch crack on the side of the dust cover in the rear. The stylus also was bent.

The good news: I corresponded with the seller, and he is willing to work with me. I think Shure has a replacement program that would allow me to get a replacement stylus for $20. He said he would pick up the tab for that.

More good news: the unit is otherwise cosmetically in perfect shape. It also functions perfectly.

So...when I am able to pop the new stylus on there, I'll be able to give a full report.

Glad to hear things are mostly ok. You should be able to get a new stylus for a Shure cartridge fairly easily. I don't know where you live, but here in the Los Angeles area there are many shops that fabricate plexiglass. A typical, custom dustcover will cost less than $50. I had one made for my other tt for $48 and it was far better quality than the dealers $200 unit. BTW, I received shipping confirmation and should receive my 145 Monday or Tuesday. I'll report back then.

Regards,

Chris

Update:

The stylus I have is apparently not eligible for the Shure stylus replacement program. It is an aftermarket "generic" stylus, not made by Shure. I sunk all my spare $$$ into buying the Thorens, and I don't right now have the $100 + that the actual Shure replacement stylus going for.

However, I was able to hunt around the net and found someone selling the "generic" replacement for $45 shipped. The guy who sold me the Thorens is going to chip in the $45 to cover the cost of the stylus, so I'll give it a whirl. This particular Ebay seller has been a joy to work with!!

I was able to tinker with the bent stylus and straighten it out a bit. I don't want to use it too much because its not "perfectly straight", and there is a nasty crimp in the cantilever. Still, that Shure V15 III equipped Thorens already sounds better than than the Dual/Grado setup I have been using. This looks like it will turn out to be $$$ well spent.

One question:

I know the V15 III cartridge in this table is not new. It was likely installed back in the late '70's when this TT was originally purchased. Per the seller, who has been straight up with me so far, this table has snee very little use. How long should the cartridge be expected to last? Or can I just keep replacing the stylus as needed indefinately?