EV SM120 mid horns: WOW!!!!!!!!

Hey guys!

I finally received my Electro-Voice SM 120A midrange horns yesterday.

I intalled them on my LaScalas (they're the split industrial type, so I just had to remove the top box, put the new horns on top of the bass horns, put the tweeters vertically on the upper lip of the mid horn's mouth, and there you go... )

all i can say is... FANTASTIC!!! I didn't expect such an improvement! Compared to the K400, the SM 120 is just so much better!!!!

First thing that immediately spring to your ear is the better clarity of mid frequencies. I hear things in my favourite songs that i never heard before! Tiny voice inflections, vibratos, all things that previously were unnoticeable.

Then you listen to some classical music, with violins, voices, and you realise that everything sounds so real, so natural. The violins are not projected in your ear like they were with K400, they "stand" between the speakers, with a physical presence. Voice are not muffled, nasal and somewhat "screamy" like they used to be; they now have a natural tone, they are flesh, not metal... and you can listen long and loud without headache...

Same with mid-bass percussions: it now sounds so natural, resonance free! The whole LaScala sound is changed to better, included bass and treble!

Then finally you begin to walk in the room, and wherever you stand, the soundfield stays constant, smooth, the sweep spot is now very wide (with the added benefit of the free-standing, vertically mounted tweeters)

Those horns don't require any adjustement of any kind (except esthetics), you screw your K55V drivers on them, and there you go, they don't even require level adjustement, they blend perfectly with the bass and tweeters... i would definitely recommand to anyone who wants to improve GREATLY the sound of their klipsch to give them a try, before any other mod... this could be just what you need! My Scalas now sound like I always wanted them to sound!9.gif

Yes, there is a world outside the 400. I never heard your JBL horn, but I have tried e few others. My favorate one that you could just screw on the K-55 driver to is the Cobreflex by University.

With all the horns and drivers that I've tried I've learned that the stock LaScala and Klipschorn sound laid back, muffled,not bright at all. I don't understand how people can say the these speakers are bright sounding. A different horn is a start, a different driver can add even more.

I have no shame.

I have two 120 for sale. $200 for the pair. You pay shipping and packaging (from Dallas). I bought them "used" and they are a little bunged up and dusty. Mechanically good.

Nah, I don't give a review of whether they are good or bad. I bought them for the home built K-Horn project a decade ago and then made something like a K-400 out of plywood instead.

My main interest is to clear out garage and find them a new home.

Gil

• 10 years later...

Hi, please i need more information for this product please contac me to my email Toribio@produccionesjetset.com or info@bincvisuals.com. i need to know price and where you from for the shipping information etc. thanks