Forte IIs first impression

Pack Rat

I finally recieved the Forte IIs from Saturday Audio Exchange on Friday and so far I'm quite impressed. For the first time in a while(with tubes at least) I find myself turning the volume down rather than up!

So far I've listened to:

Johnny Cash, American recordings CD

Tool, Undertow CD

Boston, Boston LP

Deadly Avenger, Bat Girl 12"

Led Zeppelin 1 @ 2 MFSL LP

Patricia Barber, Modern Cool LP

Jacintha, Tribute to Ben LP

Dave Brubeck, Time Out LP

Casandra Wilson, New Moon Daughter CD

Tom Waits, Mule Variations CD

String Band featuring Isao Suzuki LP

Various 3 Blind Mice LP

Various disco 12"

I'm still working on speaker placement and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to recommend some additional music that will highlight both the strengths and weakness' of the Fortes.

Regards

Pack Rat,

A great recording to audition those Fortes + quality amplification is "Wildflowers" by Tom Petty. It's one of the clearest, live-sounding studio albums I own. From the title cut, and through most of the album, a quality set-up will make you believe Tom and the guys are in your living room, or that you've been given front-row seats in the studio. An added bonus is that nearly every song is a keeper. This cd stays in my 5-disc changer almost all the time.

If you don't have it already, Johnny Cash's latest American Recordings (volume IV) has some excellent (if haunting) songs, all recorded very nicely. My favorite tracks are 2 ("Hurt") and 5 ("I Hung My Head")... both are the best of classic and updated Cash.

----------------

On 6/22/2003 12:02:52 PM leok wrote:

I would think the Forte-II and a 300B amp would be a great combination. I expect the improved dynamics are what have you turning the volume down.

leok

----------------

They do seem to go quite well together. Where I was listening at the 12:00 position with the Vandersteens I only need 9:00 with the Forte II.

These are my first horns and so far I'm quite happy.

I too have recently acquired a set of forte 2's and what impresses me is that I have some of the same recordings as you and I too think they are great. One addition I have is anything recent by Paul Simon. All the way from "Graceland" to his most recent with "You're the One" on it. The drums along with the superb engineering really make those Klipsch's shine!! Also Dave Brubecks "Time Further Out" has a great drum solo by Joe Morello. I am trying to get some more CD's with HORNS such as Chicago or Blood, Sweat and Tears 'cause horns reproduce horns much better than fibre speakers ever can. Happy listening!!!

I have found that although there is a "sweet spot" exactly inbetween the speakers, the horns tend to seperate the channels and kind of bounce around the room so that even if you are sitting way off to the side you can still differenciate(sp) between the channels. I had some old fisher speakers in the living room and then some auxillary speakers wired in the kitchen, (The A&B thing) but now I just run the Klipsch's in the living room and they find their way to the kitchen without turning up the volume. I'm no audio engineer but I assume the horns just have the ability to bounce sound around corners etc. Our expert moderators would maybe have some input on this. Take care!!