Khorn's old competetion is back

ben.

----------------

On 6/27/2003 3:35:14 PM paulparrot wrote:

Yes sir, those A7 speakers at Lima provided the best sound at the show, IMHO.

As for the new price, not much different than cars. Newly reintroduced Mini Coopers cost ten times what they used to sell for.

----------------

I think there's a pretty fair performance difference when you compare even the base Mini to the old ones, let alone the S model(my boss has one........WOW!) You show me a speaker that improves performance exponentially like that compared to any vintage A7, and I'd be happy to pony up the $8600 that I don't have!!

You got me there, bclarke. I haven't driven the new Mini. But my point being, labor-intensive stuff costs a lot more than it used to. Maybe the guys that put the original speakers together were getting $2 or $3 an hour. Just a wild guess.

According to historic CPI index, $1 in 1964 is equal to $5.96 in 2003.

In 1964, a single A-7 sold in the McGee catalog for $297.

That means $1756/speaker in todays market. I could even see $2000/speaker but not

$4K/speaker.

In 1974, a single A-7 went for $397 which is equal to $1476 in 2003.

Obvioulsy, the $4K/speaker is way out of line.

It's good to see the *new* Altec bringing the old products back but the pricing is not right and that's too bad because if it was reasonable (like $4K/pair) they would get alot more interest from a much larger group of enthusiasts.

The *changes* they are claiming to make aren't that significant.

http://www.aier.org/cgi-bin/colcalculator.cgi

I bet those are suggested retail prices which is common place in today's market place to inflate to enourmous levels. I bet they can be had for much less. But would probably still be too high to satisfy my value oriented wallet !

Craig