Adcom or Rotel

jzoz01

I had a Rotel preamp about 10 years ago, and I was persuaded into trading it in on an Adcom. I regretted it from the day I brough the Adcom home. The Rotel sounded much nicer to me. It was a little thinner sounding than the Adcom, but much clearer and more pleasant overall. I was surprised by the significant difference between the two.

Greg

Which model numbers are you thinking about? And what is the price difference. I looked at the Rotel when I was looking some 10 years ago, & it was out of my price range.

I bought an Adcom 585 & love it, but have never compared it to the Rotel. I have run different Adcom's here, & can tell you that they are not all the same. My 535 has a muffled sound, nowhere near the clarity of my Luxman M-111. I had a Adcom 555 here for a short time, & found it the same as the 585.

Now as for the newer gear, I was told the 5800 was a much better amp than my 585. So I brought one home to demo. I was not impressed.

Try & find a way to hear them with your setup. I am sure the Rotel will be better, but then you have to decide if the price is worth that difference.

I can't speak on the Adcoms. I do have an older Rotel RB976 (RMB 1066 Is the newer version of my amp) 6ch X 60watts\5ch X 70watts\3ch X 150watts. If your looking for an immediate improvement with your HT? Then the Rotels(100-200 Watts) is the way to go. I think you'll also notice alittle difference in your music as well (Bass Response, Dynamics etc....).

Good Luck

Jalen

For what it is worth,

I hate be be negative about a product but my experience with Adcom was not good.

I had the separate Tuner, Preamp, 100 watt Amplifier once. I kept them for several years and was generally happy with the sound. My gripe was lack of reliability. Had too many minor problems for an amp at it's price. Things like dirty controls and switches.

Eventually replaced it with a Nakamichi receiver (an old one) and couldn't be happier. The Adcom had a fuller upper bass but also seemed to be a "darker/heavier" sound. 8.gif